Modulus Q5 vs. Spector Euro 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flea-bass, Oct 27, 2004.

Which bass?

Poll closed Nov 3, 2004.
  1. Modulus Q5

49 vote(s)
  2. Spector Euro 5

24 vote(s)
  1. flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    I am considering purchasing one of these basses and any one compare them for me?
  2. BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    i'd go with the Spector they're a smooth bass and sound great. Modulus is good too but i'm more of a fan of Spector :smug:
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I loveee Spectors and want a Euro 4 so badly, get the euro.
  4. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon. we might better understand your needs and preferences. Then we can get our responses in context. I have played both. Both have benefits.

Tom H.
  5. Esoterik

Jun 20, 2004
    I think these Spector Euro basses are a bit overated. I own one(a Euro 5) and I think there are basses out there that simply sound better. The Spector sound is an acquired taste and the all maple construction just doesn't sit too well with me. Dunno maybe I just prefer the sound of bolt ons better. I would choose the Modulus.
  6. flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    i play metal so what i am looking for is clarity and a thick bottom end.
  7. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    modulus' have nice punch, great for funk from the graphite neck. thats what id go with but its a close one
  8. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Id say the Modulus sound is THE most acquired taste in bass. You will learn to love it or it just wont sound woodsy enough for you. If you dont mind the graphite neck sound the Modulus is an outstanding instrument: clarity thru all frets with no noticable dead spots; I always bring my Mod to outdoor gigs as I know it cant be harmed by weather and will stay in tune better than anything else out there IMO.
  9. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    For clarity, bottom end AND tight mid punch go with the Spector! :bassist:

Also check out the new Spector Euro LX5... very nice :cool:
  10. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    If you have the $$$ for a Modulus Q, I would consider some other brands. Some higher end Yamahas have blown me away, some Zons go for $1500 used, Roscoes for $1500 used, MIA Laklands too, and a even Fender FMTs aren't bad to boot. Just try some of those models out first if you can because IMO they all will outrank Modulus and Spector in versitility, weight, and tone.
  11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The Q5 is a great metal bass, especially with EMGs.

The Spector is a great metal bass, especially with EMGs ;)

You're just going to have to try them both.
  12. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    modulus modulus modulus modulus modulus modulus

13. you should buy my bass... :D
  14. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Both are good for metal IMO. You should try both if you can but the reliability of the Modulus is noteworthy.

Good luck.
    Tom H.
  15. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000

A way to help tame the Modulus sound is to put flats on it. Rounds are way too zingy for me on my Q4. I have been very pleased with my Q4 for all of the above reasons.
  16. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I am a LITTLE biased, but I think that the Spector is a better value, especially used. Spectors are well-known as good metal/hardcore basses- great thick and cutting tone.
  17. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I'm a Q5 guy. And Slam is right - if that "Mod" tone is a little too much for you put of flats and play around with your EQ. After two years of Q5 I have found that I can can get just about any tone I want - except Precision.
  18. 1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Everyone has one, I have (2)
    • I do not care for Spectors
    • I have a Q6, and I love it
  19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    A P-bass and Q5 is a smokin two bass quiver. Each one covers something different than the other, but the sounds seem to have a common thread somewhere deep down. Sure the Q5 sounds more modern on the top end, but theres something about the tones that remind me of one another. I've noticed that a lot of P-bass guys go to the Q5 when they want a low B.