Modulus Q5 w/barts how do you blend them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smarvelous, Jun 17, 2004.

1. smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    I was curious how other modulus Q5 users use your blend control since I have bartolinis, that's what I'm most interested in (though really this question relates to all jazz bass type configurations with the blend control and to use it).

I've got a recent Q5 with barts and the aguilar preamp. I play a lot of latin music and jazz. I use the neck pickup a lot. If things seem boomy I might move the blend to or toward 50/50. I'll switch to the bridge for a solo (just as an easy way to quickly jump to the front of the mix) though I imagine the more funk I start playing the more I will use that bridge PUP.

I'm sort of reluctant to use anything but one side, the other, or the center detent on the knob, because I'm afraid I won't remember where I set it!

2. rabass6

rabass6 Commercial User

Jun 3, 2004
    You can set the blend by ear, in the setting that give you the right sound for what you're playing, keeping in mind room acoustics, band volume, and aggressive content of the song
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The difference between the extremes can be dramatic (depending on the bass) but I don't think anyone but you will notice the difference between, say, 60%, 50%, and 40%. Also, the setting you like best at one gig might not be the best for another. You might even change settings in the course of one gig, depending on the song or volume or whatever. I know I do... I tend to stay on the neck pup except during funk songs when I want some bridge pickup twang.

But even if you'd prefer to set it and forget it: just use your ears, you'll have no problem dialing in your sound.
  4. I normally run mine 60/40 neck/bridge or 100% either way..depending on the sound I'm in the mood for.

I'm playing blues/rock
  5. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I leave my Q5 at 50/50 almost all the time. I use the amp and on-board for tonal/EQ changes.
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND

Me too. I very rarely ever blend my pups away from the center detent.