Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Q5 - w/o batteries?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darrelpr, Mar 12, 2002.

1. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    A couple of strictly hypothetical (at least for now) questions...

1. Any guesses as to how the Villex passive pups and electronics would sound on a Q5? (They're available for the Genesis series but I'm checking to see if Modulus would custom build a Q5 with them.)

2. Would the Barts provide enough output to drive an outboard preamp if the batteries were totally removed from the preamp?

Again, just "hypothetical, thinking out loud" questions.

darrelpr

2. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    ok... I think I've answered question #2. That is, without the batteries, the Bart preamp is not going to send any signal to the output jack unless there is an active/passive bypass switch. And if memory serves me correct, the Q5 doesn't have a passive bypass option.

Bummer....

3. Most Bartolinis are passive pickups, but they are very low output. I have some basses with Barts and the Barts preamp with the active/passive switch installed. On the preamp, there is a trim pot to adjust the volume in active mode and make it consistent with the passive volume. However, it doesn't seem to me like the preamp is doing its job in this case, so I normally crank the gain in active mode. The only time I'd need passive mode is in an emergency, in which case, I'd adjust the input gain on my amp anyway.