Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Q5 with Barts & Aguilar OBP-1?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sincity, Oct 18, 2005.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have a Modulus Q5 with Bartolinis (2 Band) and an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. The bass has a quilted maple top and a chechen fretboard.

What kind of tone should I expect from this set up?

Couldn't resist showing a photo.

2. the_home

the_home Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Pensacola, FL
    Hey, I recognize that Modulus. I was hoping it would pass without any bids and be reposted at a lower opening bid. Oh, well - good for you!

I have a Modulus Q4, and the tones are very clean and clear, even piano-like. My Modulus has the phenolic board, though. I would guess the chechen board on that one will darken the tones very slightly.

By the way, if you experience any buyers' remorse just let me know! ;)

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Tons of punch, growl, and complexity. Slightly cold, but rich and detailed. Run it through a fat sounding preamp like an alembic or ampeg and it'll sound huge. I like to cut some high mids on Quantum basses.

4. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Hey, I bought a cab from you. :p

I have a Q6, Bartolini pup and NTMB-pre amp. I'm assuming yours will have a lot more mid focus that would let you focus more on a type of growl, giving you more color to your tone. A bit rounder sound than the straight forward Quantum initially has.

5. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Cool, thanks for the tip. The fattest preamp I have right now is a Sansamp SBBDI. I will give that a run first.

6. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Oooooh you're in for a treat. My Q5 sounds HUGE through a BDDI.

7. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hey Justin,

How's the Epifani treating you? So, you think the mids will stand out with this setup. Interesting.

In a way, I hope you are right. I keep thinking that my Q5 would be more mid-scooped, and that the mids would have to be dialed in through my amp. I like the mids to be present with the bass, but not overly present.

Thanks

8. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Quite the opposite. Quantums have very strong mids.

9. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes, I did read that about Quantums with phenolic fingerboards and EMGs, but I thought with the Barts I have and the chechen fingerboard, those mids would not be as in your face.

10. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    bump

11. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Epifani's great, really enhances the clarity of this bass. Extremely articulate, almost off the charts. Paired it with a Walkabout to help calm the tone, and it's great.

But with the Aggie pre, you're going to have a bit more drastic control over the mids. Where as the Barts are a bit more mid transparent, the Aggies' are more defined. If you want the scooped tone, I'm thinking you'll have much more control over that.

To be honest, with the Bart pups though, I do most of my tone dialing with the balance/pan knob. You'll have lots of ways to experiment.

12. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's a good idea countering the basses natural attack with a warmer amp.

What do you mean by "more drastic control" with the Aggies.

13. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    Here's how me and another guy think about it.

An Aggie pre-amp has more likeable tones, but the Barts are more useable. It just seems the Aggie is much more responsive in the mid-range catagory, kind of like the way the cabs are focused. The Bartolini's are much more clear, so much that I mistaked my mid control simply for a gain. So by drastic I mean you're going to affect that part of the tone quite a bit with that little knob. It's not a bad thing, it's just more responsive in that way than the Barts.

14. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Cool Justin, thanks for the explanation.

15. Tryxx

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    No problem. You'll have a great time with that bass. :D