Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Q5 with "wide" or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darrelpr, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    A question for the slap/thump experts...

Does the 17mm string spacing on the Q5 allow you sufficient room to slap/thump? Or, would you recommend going with the Q5W which has 21.5mm string spacing? Or to put it another way... If someone was going to start concentrating on developing their slap technique, would you recommend the wider spacing?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    For slapping I'd recommend a spacing of at least 19 mm (regular Fender spacing).
    But there are guys who like it more narrow, they're a minority though, AFAIK.

If you're just starting out on slapping, get the wider version, you always can adjust the spacing to a degree with a 3D bridge.

3. I own a Modulus six-string, but I see the 5-wide has the same neck dimensions (probably the same mold). The 17mm string spacing on my six-string is the same as that on the standard 5 and a bit close for my slapping ability. I tend to hit the adjacent string fairly often when slapping. On the other hand, Mark King spec'd a 16.5 mm string spacing on the Kingbass that Status Graphite now offers, and he's the man when it comes to slap. I'm sure anyone could slap well on a bass with narrow string spacing, given enough practice. I have only medium sized hands, but the very thin Modulus neck compensates for any extra width of the wider fretboard. If I were to buy a 5-string Modulus, it would be the 5-wide.

4. I'll point out that the 21.5mm spacing is W I D E, rather more than most people are used to. If you're coming from a 4-string Fender (etc.), both the spacig between the individual strings will be noticably wider (21.5mm vs. 19mm), and you'll have an extra string to deal with--the whole thing is bound to feel huge!

I personally like wide spacing, but even so, the widest I've had is the 20mm Curbow 5 and 6. I _can_ slap on a 5 with 17mm spacing, but you certainly have to be careful not to hit adjacent strings. Come to think of it, if you want to concentrate on your slap technique, maybe that would be a good thing. :)

Overall, I'd think that if you were accustomed to 5's and 6's, the wide neck would be better for slap, but if you're just moving from a 4, it might feel a little overwhelming.

Mike

5. I don't mean to complicate your decision, but if you decide to go with the 17mm string spacing, you might want to consider whether a 6-string is in your future. The Modulus Q5-wide and the Q6 are the same price. The Q5-standard costs $200 less than the Q5-wide or Q6.

Bryan

6. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Good point. Although I had a Cirrus 5 for a brief time, my primary bass has been a p-bass. And up until now, I've not really made a serious effort to learn to slap. My concern was that slapping would be more difficult with 17mm spacing but based on what others are saying, it looks like I still might be able to do it since I'm not already use to wider spacing. The problem is that there are no Q5Ws around to demo so I'm at the mercy of the feedback I get from talkbass. (I get the impression that they wide option is not a popular choice among Modulus players.)

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've played a Modulus with wide spacing before, and I HATED it. The 17 seems uncomfortable for slapping, but the wide was WAY more so. The strings were very uncomfortably widely spaced, despite me having enormous hands. Have fun playing fingerstyle on that, especially if you have to do any string skipping!

Slapping really is NOT uncomfortable or difficult on the 17mm spacing. You could used to it very quickly. I have really big hands, but after about a week there weren't really any problems digging in or being able to snag the strings. You adapt pretty quickly. I'd say go for the normal 100x over before you look at the wide spacing, because it's really uncomfortable, IMO. Way too wide.

8. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have never tried the wide necked Q5's, but I have no trouble slapping on my standard-spaced Q5. But then again, I am used to playing a Peavey Cirrus 5, and that has fairly narrow spacing as well, so it didn't take any getting used to really.

9. More than that, I got the impression from one guy I talked to at Modulus a while ago that the Q5W is mostly a special order item that they only do on request--I doubt you'd find one in stock anywhere except the occasional used one like the fretless at BassNW now.
    The Modulus folks could tell you for sure, though.

Unless you have a compelling reason to go for the wide one and are positive you'll like it, the regular 17mm spacing is going to be far simpler (and cheaper) to find.

Mike

10. don't want to take over the thread or anything but do you know where i can get a 6-string bridge with 19mm string spacing 'cos i can't find one

11. Hipshot and ABM both make them--I'm sure there are others, too. Allparts (http://www.allparts.com) sells both, I think, though I don't know if they have the best prices.

Mike

12. I paid attention to slapping and popping last night on my Q6 with 17mm string spacing. I have never attempted to excel at slapping, but I can see that a guy could eventually slap well on this narrow string spacing. I still find getting a good hook on popped strings fairly difficult though due to the narrower string spacing.

13. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There doesn't seem to be many standard 6-string basses with wide spacing. Yahama TRP (or is it TRB?) has it. And since your in England, I'll recommend Shuker (I've been doing this alot lately!)

www.shukerguitars.co.uk/

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Perhaps you should lay off with the mission until you got your own sample... right, Johannes? :D

15. herrera

herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    it is easier to slap and pop on a wide neck but it is very relative to your self

i own a warwick thumb 6 with wide neck (20mm) and it is very confortable cause the string spacing

but if you get the 17 mm i think that you will get used to slap on that

that is a very particular technique

16. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Nah.. the british guys can always go to his shop and try one out. Atleast I can let them look at the nice pictures on the homepage! ;) I dig that new J-bass with the white pickup covers. mmm.

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    warwick's normal spacing 5 is the tightest spaced at the bridge 5 i've ever seen or played. and i love it. there's not really anything besides doublethumbing that is harder to do on my warwick than it is on my sterling, and i can still get the doublethumbing if i really concentrate and focus.

practice makes anything possible ;)

18. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    Modulus should make a Q5 w/a 19 mm spacing option. I've talked to them about this, and it wouldn't cost much to set it up to do it. They just need more people telling them that is what they want.

So, email them and let them know you'd like a 19mm 5 string.

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm sure they'll make anything if you pay for it and get a custom. I do agree though, a Modulus with a little wider spacing, like 18 to 18.5, would be really cool. 21.5, or whatever it is, is way too wide.

20. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I've gone ahead with the Q5 "standard". (Bubinga top, Barts w/NMTB preamp). Looking at 12 - 16 week build time.