Modulus Q5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the Ernie, Jun 16, 2002.

1. the Ernie

the Ernie

Jun 16, 2002
    Im looking to get one used. Only problem is that Ive never played it but know the sound. How good of a feel does the bass have? Ive played the Flea bass, is it anything like that? All help is appreciated.
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I love the feel of mine. The neck is pretty thin compared to the L2500 I was playing. The profile kind of reminds me of a 'Ray 5 neck. Maybe a little shallower. It is hard to compare. As for the Flea, I have never played one.

The composite neck, to me, feels like a highly laquered neck. If you tend to choke the neck, I doubt you would like it. It is a little sticky/grabby if you are a choker. If you have good left hand technique, you probably wouldn't notice too much. I never have been bothered by laquered necks, so I didn't think too much about it.

The bass is very light and comfortable while standing. When I first got it, I got the impression that is was all neck and no bass. I don't think it is the 35" scale as much as the overall design and how the bass hangs on you, but I imagine the left-hand reach would be a little uncomfortable if you were of smaller stature.

The playability is UNBELIEVABLE!!! The strings are so responsive and ultra quick. You can get really low action if that is your thing. I think mine is about 2 mm at the 12th fret at the most. It is certainly the lowest playable action I have ever had.

The one thing that bugs me a little is control layout. I tend to hit the volume knob and turn down the volume when slapping. That's my fault. I need to adapt my techique a bit to fix that.

I have the Bartolinis in mine. I prefer them to the EMGs. Others here prefer the EMGs. You should try both if possible.

3. the Ernie

the Ernie

Jun 16, 2002
    thanx for the insight man! I was definitely going for the Bartolinis over the EMGs. So now that i got a third opinion of it(all very positive) I think im gonna have to go and find one.
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Chasarms pretty much summed it up. ;)

Q5's have a pretty fast neck, as long as you aren't bothered by the "sticky" feel of it, which I am not. From what I remember, the Flea bass has a thicker (front to back) neck than the Q5.

They have perfect balance--let go of it when strapped on and it stays put, no neck dive whatsoever.

Great modern, punchy tone. I have the Bart pups and 3 band 18v eq (NTMB). I use it for everything from country to hard rock/funk, and it works great for everything.

Don't know if this helped much, or if I basically just repeated what Chas just said, but for what it is worth, I highly recommend them, if graphite is what you are after.:)
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

What the other guys said. All I can think of to add is that some players with small hands/fingers say they have trouble on a 35" scale (any bass), but I have smallish hands and adjusted to 35" with very little difficulty.

My Q5 has EMGs with the 3-band EQ with mid-sweep and like it just fine (esp. in my modern rock band), but would recommend barts to anyone else because they are much more natural sounding.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I tried a few @ NJ Guitar & Bass Center & I adree with what was said above except I liked the EMG's better. :) They have a website but I can't find it. :( & I see you live in NY so you might be able to go there & try a few out.
  7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Ernie- check your email- peace, Adrian