Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Q5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by robert betty, Apr 8, 2003.

1. I just bought a Custom Modulus Q5 with Aero pickups and an Aguilar Pre-amp, with a Burled maple top. I played every bass in the Store in my neighborhood owned by a personal friend, and this bass was hands down the best sounding bass I've ever played. Not to mention it is beautiful.
    I was wondering if there are any other Modulus players out there and if you could tell me your experiences. I have been playing bass for more than ten years now but have always had a very tight budget. Finally I was able to buy a quality bass and since I never had even considered them before I knew very little about them. I trusted my freinds advise and bought this bass and LOVE IT.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You're new here so I will gently say that if you announce a new acquisition such as your buff Modulus Quantum you should also post pics. :)

For example, I love mine:
    [​IMG]

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Yes, please post some pics if you could.

4. Pics are getting developed as we speak. I had some from a week ago of me playing it but they're not very good I'll see if they're still in my hard drive

5. Fuzzbass

Ok, here's my experience with Moduli: my first Q5 was amber quilt with bartolini electronics, 2-band EQ. Excellent bass, even prettier top than my current "greenstone".

I was very happy with it... but wound up trading it and cash for my EMG-loaded greenie plus another bass. The reason is that I like to have a variety of basses in my collection, and wanted an even more "modern" tone from my Modulus (I choose my passive Fender RB5 when I gotta have old-school tone). To my ears the bartolini pickups were warmer, and the EMG's have more zing and growl, especially with the sweepable midrange. The difference isn't exactly dramatic... they both have the Modulus Q5 tone... but noticeable enough to my ears.

I've not heard a Q5 with Aero's, but I'm sure it sounds fantastic.

6. coloradok1d

coloradok1d Guest

Mar 10, 2003
    I have a qauntum 5. It was played by stephan lessard from dave matthew band. He was trying it out from rich ross, modulus rep. Rich used to by my basss teacher. I love my modulus!!!!! You will not have problems with the neck. A very reliable bass. I will probably keep it forever. I am however looking at getting a warwick because in my opinion quantums just sound cold. But I am planning on keeping it forver.

7. Fuzz, I appreciate the input, it makes me feel better about my purchase. As I stated I am fairly ignorant of the various Quality basses out there and was really lost when I decided I'd better buy one while I could (I'm gettin married soon, & probably wouldn't be able to buy one). I didn't know what to look for and every experienced bassist I asked gave me a different opinion, but they all agreed Modulus basses would last a lifetime.

Also, your not likely to hear a modulus with Aero's as that's what makes mine "Custom" the Bass Guru at the music store comissioned 3 of them to be made, sent the pickups to modulus and had them build a bass around them, so he says,. Other than that it's a standard Modulus, in fact there is a picture of one that looks just like it on the Modulus web site, Burled maple top, no fret marks on the fingerboard-solid black,

8. Correction, didn't mean no fret marks, meant no inlays.

9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Welcome to the "I'll never need another bass in my lifetime" club. Glad to have you aboard!

10. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I sense some sarcasm there rojo ;)
    Don't worry robert, you hang around here for awhile and you will succum to the evils of GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) sooenr or later! MWAHAHAHA!!!:D

11. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    In all honesty, NO SARCASM!!! I have tried to find a bass that makes me not like my Modulus, but it can't be done. They are incredible basses and I'd be hard pressed to trade it for anything else, even if it was worth more.

I'm serious!!!

12. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Before you spend unneccessarily, you may want to read this thread.........

A new on-board preamp may be all you need.......

13. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    I've bought a Q5 fretless,with Bart p-ups and 3 ways electronic,just 10 days ago:I?M SO IN LOVE WITH IT!!!!!I seriously think it will be the fretless for my lifetime! The thing I dig tghe most is that I can get both modern and classic fretless tones with it!I didn't expected it.

14. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've had my Q5 for a couple of months now and I get more impressed with this bass as more time goes by.It's got a chechen top, chechen fingerboard and Bartolini 3 band EQ.Warm and punchy are the hallmarks.

It's been out to about 10 gigs now and has performed flawlessly. Last weekend my band did the base tracks for our new CD and I was just wowed at how nicely the Q5 recorded (I used the DI on my Eden WT-500 head right into the board).

One interesting twist though. For some reason when I play live I have had difficulty tweaking the Q5s treble EQ with the Eden EQ to my satisfaction.
    I tried something new. I used my Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass and plugged it into the effects return of the Eden (therefore bypassing the Eden EQ) and it worked like a charm. Go figure!!!!

I seriously auditioned a LOT of high end basses and then chose the Q5. I would make the same choice again today.

15. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Ok, we believe you :). I must be extra-bad..I love my spector, very happy with it, but I still love gettin a new bass..waiting for an essex jazz to come right now. :D I like to buy cheapie basses and then sell them off for anther cheapie every few months, lol, its fun. I think I'm holdin onto the jazz though-its so cheap that there's no point in selling it if its a good bass.

16. Fuzzbass

Just wanted to add that I'm amazed by the Modulus quality/price ratio... they are very reasonably priced; fit and finish (including the super-tight neck pocket) are excellent.