Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Q6 / Dingwall Afterburner II

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DiG, Aug 8, 2005.

Better 6er

Poll closed Aug 15, 2005.
  1. Modulus Quantum 6

29.3%
  2. Dingwall Afterburner II 6

58.6%
  3. Other 6 string (please specify)

12.1%
  1. I'm in the market for a 6 string bass, the 2 that have caught my eye the most are the Modulus Quantum 6 and the Dingwall Afterburner II.
    One of the qualities I like on the Quantum 6 is the small string spacing, I have played the Q6 before and really liked it, I haven't played (or even seen a Dingwall) before..

What are the pros and cons of each, and what would you recommend?

Thanks

2. mbulmer

mbulmer

Nov 25, 2002
    Feeding Hills, MA
    Well the Modulus is made in the U.S. as opposed to Canada. That's a big plus for me. And since the Modulus has the sound and feel you like I'd say go with the that rather than going with a bass that you've never played. Especially with the fanned fret arrangement that the Dingwalls have. You might hate it.

3. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I've played both and prefered the Dingwall tone and feel. Fanned frets take no longer to get used too than it will take you to read this. The Dingwall is also more vintage sounding than the Modulus IMO. Take that as you will. Dingwall string spacing is 18mm on 5's and 6's, just FYI.

If you have some more specific questions about the Dingwall I will try and answer them as best I can. While I've played the Modulus, I am a Dingwall owner and can speak with some degree of familiarity. I'll leave the Modulus folks to answer those questions :)

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    dude you triple posted this thread.

dingwall

5. Both Modulus and Dingwall make great instruments, as do many other companies I can think of off the top of my head. However, string spacing/fanned frets/etc. aside, these two are going to be rather different in tone. The graphite neck on the Modulus adds a particular clarity and almost "compressed" evenness to the sound, whereas the exotic woods and oil on the Dingwall are probably going to make for a rather darker, more organic kind of tone. What sort of sound are you looking for?

Mike

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    FYI, the Dingwall AB-II doesnt really use all that exotic of woods. Nothing more exotic than Modulus anyhow. He also uses a poly finish I believe, not oil. Dingwall's are anything but Dark sounding IMO. Have a listen to the music in my sig. All songs were recorded with my AB-I (passive) DI, with almost no EQ.

[edit - The Bubinga topped AB-II's might be oil, but the others are not I dont believe]

7. slombovia

slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    Utah
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    NYBW - especially if you like the 'J' tone but in a 6. He's got it down: Construction, playability, and TONE! These are the most comfortable and best voiced basses I have played. The low B is punchy and focused at 35.5" and the high C is thick and rich at 35.5". David Segal gets my vote. There are other very good ones too, I'm sure in the price range of a Modulus or Dingwall.

8. hah yeah, i deleted the other two though

Anyways the tone I like is midrangy and punchy, like Geddy Lee's on Big Money.

9. I mean "exotic" in the sense of not being the traditional maple/alder/ash, which the ABII doesn't have *any* of. Comparing Dingwall to Modulus:

Neck: Paduak and wenge vs. graphite composite
    Body: Mahogany or walnut with bubinga top vs. alder with maple (usually) top.

You may be right about the Dingwall finish being poly rather than oil, though.

As for the tone being "dark", I was thinking strictly in comparison to the Modulus, which is about the "clearest" sounding bass I can think of.

Mike

10. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I own a Q-4 and I've played a few Q-5's. They're wonderful instruments. Not everyone likes the graphite neck, but I'm quite fond of it's eveness tone-wise. Plus, it's attack is really quick. IMO mikezimmerman is right on the money; I think my Q-4's overall tone is a bit compressed, but not in a bad way.

I haven't played a Dingwall, but they do look like a very nice bass.

Still, I voted "other" because my Roscoe SKB3006 has made almost all of my other basses expendable. If you haven't already played a Roscoe-6, hopefully you'll get the chance.

- Art

11. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Yeah for some reason I was thinking of my AB-I, not the II's so much. I forgot the II's have Walnut. That will deffinantly darken up the tone a bit. My AB-I is soft maple with a flammed maple top, hence my comparison. I know there are some AB-I's out there that have been retrofitted with the active pre though.

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I too voted Dingwall. I like the string tension across the neck. I have the AB1, which is passive, but has more 'traditional' body woods, alder and maple. From the Modulus bases I've handled, they both have a clear tone, but the Dingwall wins for ERB's because the multi scale length.

Juneau mentioned the traditional or vintage tone, but when run in series, those pickups have volume and tone similar to an active bass. I haven't missed having the on board preamp.

Don't let the looks intimidate you. It's not hard to play or get used to, and once you do, you won't want another bass with standard scale length.

13. Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if the AB-I were a little closer to the Modulus clarity. Of course, I see darker-colored woods like mahogany or walnut and immediately anticipate a particular sort of tone, and that could be way off the mark!

Mike

14. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
  15. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    I've got a Modulus Q6. (Bartolini pups and NTMB preamp)
    The Modulus to me just sounds more focused, it's got the clarity of all of those clips, which sound great, but seems to have a more focus low end. It's got a "mwah" sound all over.

If it's going to be your main axe, no what you like and remember it's not wood.

16. Oh, it's been a few years since I owned the Modulus! But since there's a Modulus Flea on the basstasters' site, it's not so hard to do a direct comparison. The AB-II certainly does have plenty of top-end clarity, so "dark" isn't really the right term, but it sounds like there's also a certain color to the midrange as well, and that's kinda what I was thinking of when I used the term "organic".

In the end, though, it's primarily about the sound that DiG hears in his head...

Mike

17. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Very true Mike, I was just curious for my own sake how you'd compare the two. I think some of the organic-ness of the Dingwall comes from the small frets as well. Its said to impart a "woodier" tone. To me the flea on the site sounded thin, but obviously I like the Dingwall tone. The AB-II actually sounds a lot like my AB-I I think. Maybe you could give a listen to my songs in my signature for an AB-I comparison if your willing. Forgive my playing, I've only been at this 2 years hehe.

18. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    you'd be hard pressed to find a cooler Q6 than this
    over at the grooveshoppe.
    [​IMG]
    with all the rain in B.C it would be handy not to have to worry
    about neck/humidity/molting/blah blah woof woof.

19. Juneau,

You've got nothing to apologize for, and your playing is just fine! :) It's hard to for sure on different tunes with different recording techniques, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear a certain "family resemblence. Still, it'd be interesting to play the AB-I and II side by side to get a sense of exactly how much difference the woods really make.

Mike

20. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    I can't speak for anyone's instruments buy my own, but the tone balance between the ABI and ABII basses is very similar considering the woods couldn't be more diverse.

The difference being the ABII having more depth, range and complexity with the added control of active electronics.