Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Q6 questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassiclybass, Mar 19, 2003.

1. bassiclybass

bassiclybass

Mar 1, 2003
    calif
    Aloha, I'm thinking about a Q6 fretless (1997) he wants $1750.purpleheart top ,alder body(is this a good price?) but the graphite neck didnt come w/a truss rod in 97.he said he put a shim in it.should i spend the cake on a bass w/ no truss rod?Also i have small hands and theyre pretty worn from many gigs,so i like a real thin flat neck ala warrior but dont have the cake for one.are the q6's thin and flat like that?also wonderin if the 35" scale is gonna be hard to play (pain).also wonderin how heavy it is.thank you tb'ers!!!:bassist:

2. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I recently went from a Ken Smith 6 to a Roscoe 6 and finally to a Modulus Q6. My hands are also small and wide necks cause me some problems.

My Q6 has the truss rod and the neck is not too thick from front to back. I have heard that the earlier necks with no truss rods are thinner, however. The bass is light for a 6 and plays and sounds great. I have Bartolini PUs and 18 volt 3 band electronics in my Q6.

Chuck

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I have heard no complaints about the necks with no trussrod, probably because the graphite necks do not really warp that much. Also 35 inch scale is not that much harder to play because there is only a one inch difference spread out over a long neck. It will not take much for you to get used to it. So I say go for it.

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well, I've heard that rod-less Mods have extremely thin and fast necks.

Great bass, But I would try and get the price down to about 1500.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Or at all.

6. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    This would be the only thing that would concern me. Can't comment on the price without seeing it but then again, I'm no expert.

7. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The necks on the rod-less Mods are thinner. I just aquired one without the relief adjuster, and then played one with it, and I can tell you that mine is slimmer and faster. Not to say that the newer ones are big, but the older ones are a bit slimmer. I think 1750 is a rather high price for an older Mod. I'm seeing brand new ones from shops being sold at that price. I would say that 1400-1500 is definitley in the ballpark for that bass though. You may be able to find one cheaper though. You should check ebay as well.

8. bassiclybass

bassiclybass

Mar 1, 2003
    calif
    Howdy, i want to thank you all for sharing your time and knowledge w/me on this.I really appreciate it!!!Anyone else please feel free to add anything you feel would be of help to me.Thanx again to all! Keep it low and slippery!!!:) :bassist:

9. bassiclybass

bassiclybass

Mar 1, 2003
    calif
    hi chuck, was the Roscoe thinner than the Smith and the Q6 thinner than the Roscoe? I was kinda thinkin about the Roscoe.Can you tell me the reasons for your progression to the Q (the smith didnt give me this or that) thanx dave