Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Q6 with EMG's?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott Cutrer, Sep 8, 2001.

1. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    I am thinking about a Modulus Q6 with EMG's. I had one with Barts and dug it a lot. If anyone can compare the two or give me an opinion on the EMG's in the Modulus basses, I would appreciate it.
    God Bless
    Scott

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Scott, that will be a very bright, modern, to some people even harsh or sterile combination.

I like Mod's with Barts, but not with EMGs.

But, that is your decision, your ears may like different things tonally than mine do.

There are other guys on this board with experience with Modulus and EMG. They should be along shortly.

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Hey there Scott, I don't know if you know me but I'm DarkMazda. I've owned a Modulus Quantum 5 with EMGs. In my Experience, I did NOT have a great time with the Modulus Q5 with EMGs. The sound was very bright, yes but very stertile at the same time. Yes it cuts thru but I did NOT like those stertile sounds for the low Bs. sounded very hollow. Thats just my experience. I LOVED the slap tone though. Talk about great! But Finger tone, I did not have a great time with it.

Phogchris on TalkBass has a Modulus Q5 with EMGs and he loves it though :)

But go for what u want :)

DM

4. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Thanks guys, that is exactly the kind of input I was looking for. Maybe you can splain something else to me though. The Mod Q6 I am looking at says it has EMG's with a Bartolini Preamp. Is that common and could that help the sterile aspect of the Mod w/ EMG's? I really dug my Mod Q6 w/ the Barts, we'll see about this one!

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    SCott: hmm.... The Bart Preamp may make it a little warmer. But still the EMGs will make it VERY stertile! Since the Graphite is stertile.. but try it out see if you like it!! I would just go with the Bart

6. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Just get a used Zon 5. *koff* Like mine ;) They're warm and they cut. But, to stay on topic, the EMG/Mod combination is not a favorite of mine. I agree, it sounds way too hollow and sterile. IF you're looking to go Mod, get the barts...or, go one better, and get a Zon ;)

-Neal

7. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    *DM turns in to a ZONbie*

ZOOOOON~~ GIMME MY ZOOON~~~~~

EEEK!! :eek:

8. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Depending on what sound you may want, this bass may not be for you... But that is what this entire thread seems to be about.

I have a Q6 w/ EMGs. It is the best sound I've ever been able to produce with my hands, gear, talent, band, etc. It fits me like a glove.
    I hated EMGs for a long time... then I played them. They are a very nice sound for my bands, but the graphite neck helps. The bass is sterile, but can be manipulated through amplification and mixing.

Not to say that isn't true with barts.

I don't think any Modulus sound will make you angry.

9. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Add another battery to the EMG´s for an 18 Volt configuration...
    The Sound will change.

10. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Once again thanks for all the great input. Let me clear things up a bit by saying that I played a Fender Jazz with EMG's through a GK for 10 years and it was my sound! So I dont tnink EMG's will be a problem. Also my favorite Modulus sound was Oteil's on the First 2 Aquarium Rescue Unit albums, and his Mods had EMG's too. I am getting this bass today adn will keep you guys posted. Sterlile is not a bad thing for me because my main basses are to G&L L2000's and I am getting some pretty organic Fender tones from them. Now for the next question. What strings would go best with this Modulus?
    God Bless
    Scott

11. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Scott: For strings, try Modulus strings. I forgot which company makes Modulus stirngs.. not sure if its was Dean Markley or D'Addario.. But I heared from MegaAngus that the Modulus strings will go best with the Modulus bass. (I wonder why :D). and, it depends on what kind of sound you want since the strings WILL Change your sound.

Good Luck!
    DM

12. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Got it! Love it! Now the string hunt begins. I usually dig SS rounds, but might try some nickel rounds for a little more warmth that the EMG's might need. BUt it is a Modulus and sounds sooooo good. What tone, even unplugged it just rings out like a piano.

Hey Dark Mazda, did you get that Mod Q5 from a guy named Gustav in Syracuse NY?

Scott

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm not quite sure which Mod. Angus has, but I believe his has EMG's in it.

He'll probably see this and post soon enough. :)

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

His has Bart's in it.

He wanted one with Lane Poor's but that one was sold to someone else.

15. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I put some Ken Smith Taper core strings on my Mod. They are really smooth on that bad boy. Warwick strings are going to be my next strings, though, just for grins.

I think the Modulus strings are made by D'Addario. They have an ad for slow-wound strings with a Mod in it. Also, I heard long ago that they were made by D'Addario.

16. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have 5 string modulus with EMGs in it and I have no complaints. I don't feel that my bass is sterile sounding at all, though I would still call it modern sounding.
    I have played one Modulus with Barts and that bass was sterile sounding to me. I have also played a jazz style modulus (I forget what those are exactly called), it had single coil EMGs and I thought that bass was sterile sounding as well.

Just try before you buy, and be open minded.

17. Scott Cutrer

Scott Cutrer Guest

Aug 21, 2000
    Richmond, VA
    Well upon inspection, I think this was a one owner with very little use. Has the original strings on it and I think the batteries may have been changed though. It needs new strings desperately. So before I can really tell how it stacks up tone wise. It does have the 18 volt Bart Preamp, so that has to make for I nice combo I think. The bass is beautiful and plays great:D

18. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    My favorite strings are Ernie Balls. They are nickelplated.

19. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Try one with a granadillo (wood) fingerboard. It's the best of both worlds without giving up any of the Moduli's best qualities(clarity, punch, never-warp-neck...). I liked the Lane Poor p/u's the best but they are no longer avail. The Modulus strings are great but I prefer Low-Riders (after "R. Cocco's" which are also sadly no longer available since R. Cocco retired) since I do mostly fingerstyle. As for the pre-amp, I believe all quantums now come with a 18v Bartolini. The $50 upgrade to a 3-band EQ is a MUST! The flexability of the mid range is great It's also cool as a "tone-boost" when needed (hard to explain just try to compare the two.
    RGDS