1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus Quantum 4 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darkhorse1, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Darkhorse1

Darkhorse1

Nov 11, 2017
    I have a mint 88 Modulus Quantum 4 with a blue swirl body(s/n 88657). Unlike all the Modulus Quantums{both 4 and 5) I see here with "Modulus" printed at the base of the fretboard. mine has Modulus printed on the headstock and not at the base of the fretboard. Says "Modulus graphite quantum" and the patent info underneath.

Would this be considered an early version of the Quantum?

Thanks for any info!

2. Darkhorse1

Darkhorse1

Nov 11, 2017
    upload_2017-12-10_12-19-22. upload_2017-12-10_12-19-22. upload_2017-12-10_12-19-22.

Gearhead17 and carsbybigd like this.
  3. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    We need more experts, and better pics, but I hate to say, I don't think it's a Modulus. Just about everything is /differentwrong, from the neck joint, the logo, the bridge, it seems to be passive. The serial number's first digits are it's date of birth. I hope it an early one I've never seen. Most of the copies have painted necks, the graphite should be plainly visible, like the headstock on this one. The body shape is different in the upper cutaway.
    DSC_0557.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    StrangerDanger likes this.
  4. Darkhorse1

Darkhorse1

Nov 11, 2017
    Thanks for your reply.

My modulus is active(just pulled the cover), the entire headstock and neck have the same headstock logo and graphite pattern as yours, just a darker color. The headstock reads "Modulus Graphite Products, US Patent 4,145,948.
    the serial number(in white on the rear) is 880676(I screwed up before). The bass is extremely light(just over 7 lbs) and came from an extremely reputable dealer.

carsbybigd and bassstrangler like this.
  5. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

yes, it's an early modulus. it's not a fake. for the complete make-up, check in with @GeoffGould who is the one who started the modulus graphite company here in the s.f. bay area. or you can contact him on his f.b. page. give him some time to answer since i'm sure he's a busy man with his schedule. hopefully he'll be able to pass on the info needed.

Afc70, Low84 and Darkhorse1 like this.
  6. Darkhorse1

Darkhorse1

Nov 11, 2017

Thanks very much for your info! I found and 89 Quantum 5 with the exact same headstock and neck mount. Phew.....anyway, I shall contact Geoff. Thanks Again!

carsbybigd likes this.
  7. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

feel free to hang out over at the 'modulus mob' forum. there's a cr*p-ton of info also over there from others like myself who have owned and played geoff's basses (and some guitars) for decades. you'll find owners of the early moduli as well as owners of basses from the 'new' modulus graphite company that started up after their bankruptcy.

carsbybigd and Darkhorse1 like this.
  8. Darkhorse1

Darkhorse1

Nov 11, 2017

Please see additional post from another user....BTW there is a 5 string 89 quantum with the exact same headstock as mine, same darker graphite headstock and neck, same neck mount.... and a 2004 modulus flea bass with the exact same dark graphite. As suggested, I will contact Geoff Gould for more info on mine.

Trouble is, in looking around it is hard to find info on the early quantums.

9. Darkhorse1

Darkhorse1

Nov 11, 2017
    Thank you, again for all the great info! I will try the modulus mob forum.

Have a great holiday season.

10. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    As others have already confirmed, that is indeed what a 1988 Quantum 4 should look like. Putting the logo at the base of the neck didn't start until after Modulus introduced the Quantum SPi ("Integrated Neck Joint") which was sometime in the very early 1990s.

fwiw I own a 1988 Quantum-6 SPX and the headstock shape, logo, fingerboard etc all look more-or-less identical to yours.
    RMA_-_Ambient_Chaos_at_Spectrum_1-24-2013_solo1.
    (I admit the logo's hard to see in this pic, but I think you get the gist.)

Darkhorse1 likes this.
  11. Darkhorse1

Darkhorse1

Nov 11, 2017
    Thanks, Bob. Mine plays and sounds great. So light, as well.

Happy holiday season to you. Thanks for the confirmation.

12. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I'm really glad to hear this!!!

Darkhorse1 likes this.
  13. bassstrangler

bassstrangler

Mar 2, 2015
    Glad your assumption was wrong. Always hate to hear about someone buying a fake.

Afc70 and Darkhorse1 like this.
  14. Darkhorse1

Darkhorse1

Nov 11, 2017
    I, as well.....lol. Thanks though for your thoughts. I have done so much business with the store owner where it came from that it would not have been a problem if the reverse were true.

Interesting how many variations on a theme, Modulus had. Even the 2004 fleas bass I saw had a similar neck(color) though not headstock.

Have a great holiday season!

15. Darkhorse1

Darkhorse1

Nov 11, 2017
    Heart beat a little fast for awhile, today.....lol.

16. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Thank you for keeping in mind the seven year-olds who frequent this forum.

Darkhorse1 and bassstrangler like this.
  17. Darkhorse1

Darkhorse1

Nov 11, 2017
    What a great bunch of folks here......and a wealth of info to take in and learn.

18. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    +1 on pnutz's response. Yup, it's absolutely an early Modulus, just before they went with the unworded logo on the headstock and a few other characteristics commonly associated with Quantums.

I remember when the "Modulus Graphite" and "Modulus Graphite Products" were printed on the headstocks, just like yours.

Nice find... enjoy!

Darkhorse1 likes this.
  19. Darkhorse1

Darkhorse1

Nov 11, 2017
    ditto, again on the great group here.
    Thank you so much for the info and kind words....Happy holidays to you,

20. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Based on its age, I'd expect it has no truss rod. Not a problem, many early graphite necks just relied on the extraordinary stiffness of graphite. Is it a 35" scale like the later ones too? I've owned a Q5 but always wished for a 4 string. Best luck with it. They're great basses. Also, that's a pretty quilted maple top you have there.

Darkhorse1 likes this.