Modulus Quantum 5 Blackstone opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GRoberts, Feb 12, 2003.

1. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I had a chance to play a new Modulus Quantum 5 Blackstone with dual EMG's this weekend. It had an amazing Quilt maple top (blackstone finish) over an Alder body. I loved the fast feel of the Graphite neck with phenolic fretboard. The overtones and harmonics that were available everywhere on the neck were amazing. It also had incredible sustain. The low B string was impressively tight, focused and well balanced compared with the other strings as well.

I'm looking for opinions on the new Modulus Quantum 5 basses. Do you like em or love 'em? are they in the same league as Roscoe's, MTD's etc? I play Mostly R&B/blues/Jazzy groover oriented funk. Will be using a Bergantino 322 cabinet with an AshDown ABM500 EVO.

By the way, when I took the test drive of the modulus, I played it through an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO with an Aguilar 212 cabinet. The combinations was surprisingly incredible, but my Bergantino 322 was ordered prior to this experience. I hope the Bergie isn't too Hi-fi for the Ashdown and my Roscoe and/or the New Modulus Quantum 5.

Here's the kicker question: Am I crazy thinking about trading or selling my Roscoe LG3005? It has a Swamp Ash body with Exhibtion Quilt maple top, (see pic attached), Ebony fretboard, Ivory nut, (Barts and Aguilar OBP-1) for the Modulus? I can't really afford both basses. The Modulus and I played so very well together. That's the hard part. I'm in love with my Roscoe,. but for some reason, the Modulus seems to be a better fit for my hand and playing style. The Roscoe however is a real showpiece and that would be hard to part with. My Roscoe also has a nice history being that it was originally built for Kim Stone of "The Rippingtons." All confirmed by Keith Roscoe himself. It's a cherry specimen, but I think I play and sound better (albeit slightly) on the Modulus. Your thoughts on a Modulus Quantum 5's are wanted! Talk to me! Thanks!
  2. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I prefer the tighter aggressive sound of the Modulus to the more traditional and mellow sound of the roscoe - but that's just me.

really man, go with which one brings you the greater joy! don't worry about how they look...
  3. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I haven't played a Roscoe, but I have no troubles recommending a Modulus Quantum. IMO, it feels great to play, I like the sound, and it looks good. Plus the Blackstone is an amazing finish. That's what I would try to find if I were shopping for a Q5.

That means if a Blackstone Q5 pops up at a decent price, I will be forced to buy it. MARS had one for a great price during their last days, but it had just been too abused, and I had just purchased a Flea 5.
  4. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    oh, but i forgot to mention the ONE reason I don't own a Q5 - the string spacing is too narrow for my tastes. make sure you're into that - its the reason I sold my smiths too.
  5. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Go for it you will not regret it , Hell I sold a bass that I said I never would for a Q5
  6. basspro2

basspro2 I'm seeing Gorillas...

Apr 6, 2002
    Northbridge, Mass
    Sorry wrong pic.
  7. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I would love to own another Modulus. I just sold my Flea 5, which I loved the ton of, just not the string spacing. I'll never buy another bass with less than 18mm spacing. popular are the wide necked Q5s?
  8. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Those are two totally different instruments. Find a way to own them both. :bassist:+:bassist:=:)
  9. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    But if you must have a Modulus, I'll trade or sell you this one: ;) It was owned by James Brown.

10. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I have been trying to run away from my Modulus since I got it, but it fits what I do to a "T". I want to play my Lakland, but the power and sustain and focus of the Mod sound occupies the zone available in our music with commanding presence. I have EMGs and have had no problem achieving the big bottom, and I can warm it up pretty well. The slap sound is not Marcus and Fendery, but a Smith-like honk. I like both sounds, but my dominant fingerstyle really likes the mids that this bass puts out like a generator, so I can live with the honk. I keep saying, hey, be satisfied with this thing, it's getting the job done. The grass is not always greener. But hey, I'd consider having a bass that was heading for Kim Stone. He's one of my favorites!;)

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I don't have enough experience with Roscoes to comment but I love Q5's. They have the best B-string I've heard, amazing string-to-string balance, incredible sustain and clarity, super-tight neck pocket, very high quality fit and finish. They growl and bite very well, but theyr'e no one-trick pony: I have no problem softening mine for blues/R&B tones (and mine has EMG electronics, which are more aggressive than the barts).

I halfway agree with Vanselus: Q5 bridge spacing is 17mm, as opposed to the Fender-standard 19mm with which I'm most comfortable. However Q5 nut width is 1-7/8", which is typically considered "wide 5" (by comparison, Ken Smith and MusicMan fives are 1-3/4" at nut, some other fivers are even narrower). So while I'd be happier with 3/4" spacing on the Q5, it's such a great bass that it's worth adjusting to the narrower bridge spacing.

FWIW, Modulus has a "wide 5" option which it's 2" at nut with 22.25mm bridge spacing... now THAT is truly wide!
  12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The Roscoe tone is going to be hard to replace with that Q5. Completley two seperate beasts. I like the Q's with the wood boards(like grandillo or chechen) better for some reason. The guy at the shop said that Modulus was going to a wood composite board similar to the Zon's. Has anyone heard of that too?
  13. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    The blackstone Q5 above is one amazing bass, probably the best one I've ever heard or played....

Did I mention that I own it?...

Or that I am downsizing my gear in order to go to grad school?...

The bass is incredible and it's for sale...Let me know if you are interested, you won't be sorry.
  14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the follwing is only my opinion- and it shouldnt be worth much...:) but..
    i would never trade a Roscoe for a Modulus- i find Modulus to be a fine bass, and i used to endorse them- but the Roscoe is superior in my opinion- and yours is a real looker!
    add to that that i will eat my hat if anyone can convince me that the lo b on the Mod is better than the Roscoe- because i have yet to find a better lo b anywhere at any price!! but of course, one look at my avatar tell you im a big fan and owner-- though my main axe is an F bass 5-- for whatever it worth... if you and that Mod were meant for each other- let no man tear apart what God has brought together...