1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

No longer available Modulus Quantum 5 - Spalted Flamed Maple

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mgrewe12, Jan 27, 2018.

1. mgrewe12

mgrewe12

Oct 4, 2012
    Viola, WI
    Price:
    Strings:
    For sale is my 2008 Modulus Quantum 5 string bass with a premium spalted flamed maple top and alder body. String spacing at the bridge is 19mm. It is strung with D'Addario Chromes, which meshes great with the composite neck, giving it heft and the ability to sit well in many musical mixes.

I swapped the electronics out and now the bass is running one Nordstrand Big Split pickup in the neck position (same location as the center of a P pickup) passively. The bridge pickup is a "dummy" pickup made out of a piece of walnut and stained black. It is also routed to have a hidden pick holder (see 2nd picture).

The passive controls are an on/off switch, tone knob, and 3 way tone switch (.22 cap, .47 cap, and tone bypass). This allows for subtle differences in tone, for example, bypassing the tone circut gives a very slight volume boost as well as being a hair brighter and punchier. I can resolder this so there is no switch if you like, just let me know.

I also swapped out the standard gotoh tuners for hipshot ultralights, which made the bass balance noticably better with whether standing or seated. After this swap, as well as removing the electronics and unused pickup, which I did for tonal reasons, the weight of the bass is now 9.06 pounds.

There is a wenge shim under the bridge and maple shims in the neck joint to get the string height to work with the Big Split pickup, I noticed no change in tone from the shims before and after.

Included in the sale is the custom hard case with a key to lock it, allen wrenches (for the neck screws, truss rod, and bridge adjustment), 20 inch radius block to help with setting the action, and some thick ultex triangle picks.

Shipping is included in the price and I will only ship within the CONUS. Also, I'm not interested in any trades. Thanks for looking and PM me with any questions.

Modulus 1.jpg Modulus 2.jpg Modulus 3.jpg Modulus 4.jpg Modulus 5.jpg Modulus 6.jpg

elgecko and dave64o like this.
  2. ialma

ialma

Jul 1, 2006
    South Italy
    has the body been routed to accomodate the dummy PU ?
    The cavity seems wider than the usual DC40 PU size

3. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Subscribed. Also, do you still have the original pickups/electronics that went with this bass?

ialma likes this.
  4. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

Width of the fretboard at the nut and at the 24th fret? Thanks!

5. mgrewe12

mgrewe12

Oct 4, 2012
    Viola, WI
    Excellent question! The pickup cavity has NOT been modified. It is an EMG40 shape. I made the top portion of the wooden dummy pickup slightly wider than the opening. It is held in with pickup screws in the original position so it is easy to remove if you would like. Which reminds me, I did add copper shielding everywhere, except the bridge position. It still has the original shielding paint applied by Modulus, but if you are the one who ends up buying this bass and you are adding a bridge pickup, let me know and I would be happy to copper tape that location for you as well.

I do not have any of the replaced components or electronics. To justify buying new pickups, I sold the old ones :). I first had bartolini (came with the bass), then Delano soapbars wired up in series (really liked it, but not quite punchy enough), then finally a Big Split.

Width of the fretboard at the nut is 49 mm or 1.93 inches. Width at the 24th fret is 76 mm or 3 inches.

Also, I don't have easy access to internet, but I'll try to answer questions once or twice each day. I also would be happy to do a pickup/drop off in Madison, Wisconsin. Thanks for looking folks!

Plantbrain and Fred312b like this.
  6. mgrewe12

mgrewe12

Oct 4, 2012
    Viola, WI
    Price drop!

7. MMiller28

MMiller28 Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Creative

8. grumpyjfc

grumpyjfc Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Mount Pleasant SC
    Did you modify any of the existing routes on the bass: neck pocket, control knob holes, neck pocket, pickup routes, bridge route, or control cavity? In other words can the bass be put back to stock with no wood work involved? Thanks.

9. mgrewe12

mgrewe12

Oct 4, 2012
    Viola, WI
    No permanent, irreversible modifications were done.

Fred312b likes this.
  10. mgrewe12

mgrewe12

Oct 4, 2012
    Viola, WI
    Price drop!

11. mgrewe12

mgrewe12

Oct 4, 2012
    Viola, WI
    I've mentioned this to a few folks who PMed me, but I'll share here publicly. I never thought I would sell this bass as it is one of the best I have ever played, only bettered, at least to me, by a 90's Carl Thompson fretless rainbow bass. It is surprisingly versatile, enough to be my only bass for years! But alas, I have made the hard decision to leave the bass world in order to see where life might take me instead. So I hope that whoever ends up with this bass loves it as much as I have.

Thanks for looking,
    Mat Grewe

elkkid2 and XrisThaBassman like this.
  12. mgrewe12

mgrewe12

Oct 4, 2012
    Viola, WI
    Price drop

13. Best of luck, wherever life takes you!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021