Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Quantum 5 vs. Peavey Cirrus 5 vs. Yamaha TRP 5PII

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funkyaurora, Apr 30, 2004.

Best overall sounding?

Poll closed May 14, 2004.
  1. Modulus Quantum 5

23 vote(s)
    52.3%
  2. Peavey Cirrus 5

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. Yamaha TRP 5PII

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    I`m mainly a "Fender type" player (my two main basses are a custom buildt "Jazz style" 5, and a Roscoe Beck V),
    but for an upcoming project I will be needing a fiver with a sligthly more modern and focused sound.

After doing some research on the internet I have taken an interest in the following three basses;

- Modulus Quantum 5
    - Peavey Cirrus 5
    - Yamaha TRP 5PII

all with alder bodies, figured maple tops, and rosewood or similar fretboards.

However, I do not have the opportunity to check out these
    models in my home town, so here`s my question;

-are there any experienced players here who have actually
    checked out all the three basses in mention, and if so what
    were the pros and cons in your opinion? Please tell me what you found, and what the conclusion was, especially in the sound departement.

Thanks,
    Funkyaurora :)

2. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Played them all, owned 2 of 3.

The Yamaha has a limited, quiet preamp. I felt that it was poorly made as well and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

The Peaveys are nice, I won't dog them as easily, but the preamp was also very limited. It didn't act like I thought it should (the midrange particularly). Constructionwise, I thought it played great and felt very Modulus-like, but I feel that owning an instrument is the only true test, so unless Cirrus owners outweigh me, I think it has more room for error.

I have had 3 Moduli, a Q6, a Q5 and a VJ4. I know at least 10 people who are also or have been owners who will agree with me. I could spend all day telling you how great they are, but I think you'll get a lot of that coming soon. I'll just say that these were 3 of the best sounding, best playing, amazingly constructed and indestructable instruments that I have ever played and I have played a LOT of basses in my day.

They KILL the other 2 in so many respects, it's sick!

3. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    Thanks alot for your reply rojo412!
    It was my guess that the Q5 has more "high-end" qualities to it than the Peavey and Yamaha. However, since alot of people
    rave about the capabilities of the Cirrus and TRB 5PII, I thought it would be useful to start a poll.

Just curious;
    as for the Yamaha you owned, -was it the original TRB 5
    (as mentioned in your profile), or the the late 5PII model that I`m refering to?

4. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    It was the TRB5II, a bolt on, maple necked, ash bodied beast. I got it at Guitar Center. I worked there and spotted the 1 we had on clearance in a store in Mass. It was tagged at $449 (anyone could have gotten it for that, not just an employee).
    When I got it, I set it up, new strings, new battery, etc. Even after that, after the great deal, I still didn't like it. Very bland. Since then, every one, even the ones that are for sale at Sam Ash brand new, sound the same to me. I sold mine at a profit which was nice, but I haven't like a Yamaha since.
    The "P", I assume, refers to a piezo bridge. I played an older TRB4P (neck thru) and it sounded like the 5II non piezo, but with an awful, tinny piezo element added.

5. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    rojo412,
    I`ve actually played the older TRB 5 myself, and didn`t like it.
    I totally agree with your opinion of that model.
    The newer TRB 5PII is a totally different animal from what I understand. Alder body, laminated neck through construction,
    and better pickups and preamp. Reviewers seem to agree upon that this version has a much fuller, warmer, and tighter
    sound than the old one. As for the piezo; - I don`t care much for that option myself, and I`m glad it can be switched off!

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    See, you'd be paying for an expensive option you don't like. For me, that would knock it straight out of contention.

I'm going to let someone else chime in here now.

7. Funkyaurora

Funkyaurora

Aug 21, 2002
    Norway
    Good point rojo,
    thanks for your contribution!

Anyone else want to share their experiences with these basses?

8. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I've played the trb5pII. IMHO, it's a sweet bass that sounds great, is versatile, plays well, and is built like a tank... which also happens to be a downside as it's quite heavy.
    Apart from that, it's a great bass. I'm sure you'd find the piezo handy sometime or another - it gives the bass a nice voice to the natural tone of the woods :)

9. if you want midrange control add the peavey millennium usa to the list... people tell me its more versatile than the cirrus, i havent played the cirrus but my 4 string can make just about any sound i want

10. well that was a rough vote for me because the Quantam and the Cirrus are two of my favorite basses right now....but I went with the Cirrus because the redwood top 6 that I played the other night blew EVERY bass that I've ever touched (fodera,smith,sadowsky,elrick) out of the water!!!

11. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I have owned 3 Fender RB 5's and they are the best Fender Basses in my opinion but I now own a Modulus Q 5 and there is no comparison in quaility. The Modulus kicks ass. The action and sustain is much better than the Fender and it is lightweight. These basses are great live because of the weight and the tone cuts thru the mix .