Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Quantum 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jeflepard, Feb 25, 2004.

1. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I have been playing Fender RB 5's but I recently sold them in order to purchase the Modulus. The Modulus one great bass. The neck is to die for and I am really happy with the tone. The B-string really stands out.
    My hands are not tired at the end of the night and I can play much faster and cleaner than before. I highly recommend these basses.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Sorry you had to sell the RB5. I own RB5 and Q5... love 'em both. :)

These two are definitely an apple and an orange. I go for variety in my axe collection, but I can understand why most people prefer either one or the other. The RB5 is old-school, chunky tone and playability. The Q5 is decidedly modern: fast player, active EQ, crisp clear tone, fancy wood top (usually). Congrats on finding the one that is best for you!

3. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I have a Modulus Quantum 5 also and find it to be very punchy and impressive. a much faster neck than the Fender RB5. That Fender is one of my favorites is their line-up. Very impressive for the price. The Modulus B string wins the contest as does the Modulus neck comparing the two. Bottom line; I The versatility of the Modulus Quantum 5 makes it very very useful for a variety of musical styles.

4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Lets get some modulus pics in here for me to drool over.

;) :D

5. tsarter

tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
  6. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    woah...another TBX :bassist: Quantum 5 TBX

I see that one is for sale on the Bay. Is that yours?

7. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I have two q5s, one with bart pups and aguilar pre and the other emg pups and pre. Modulus q5s are the best giging basses around. imo. Good luck with yours, Im sure you will like it.

8. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    Indeed, ye shall drool.

You can read my review in this post. I was also a big fender guy before I made the switch. You will not be sorry. This is the only bass I want to play anymore.

[​IMG]

9. tsarter

tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Catphish,

Mine is on E-bay now. I used to own yours (if that is the one pictured) too. I sold that one about a year - year and a half ago. Believe I sold it to Michael Eisman. He told me he had to sell it due to job problems. I now have three TBXs, including the one on E-bay now. I used to have another four string too. Great basses!

10. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003

Yep, that's mine, and that's who I bought it from. Did you own it (mine) new? I am SO in love with the finish. If you didn't have it new, who did you buy it from. I've always wanted to learn the trail of owner ship of it. It's got a Bart electronics set up in it now and I like the sound much more. The emg's went on the fritz so I test drove a bunch of set ups and the bart one was perfect for me.

Michael must not have owned it long because I've had it for a while now...maybe 8 months, or more. I notice tyhat your's has a wood top center block...I've never seen that before. Was that a later addition, or an earlier one? Modulus JUST made a new one for Mike Gordon, of Phish, and his has no front block. They made the neck in '94, but just finished it.

It's very cool to meet a prior owner. I love the hell out of that bass.

11. tsarter

tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA

Nope - I was not the original owner. Bought it from a friend of mine that lives on the East Coast - Eduardo Garcia.

I was just at Modulus last week. They didn't mention that one you are referring to. I know they made one for Mike about a year ago - must be the same one you are talking about. Made quite a stir visting there with three TBXs. Their production manager just reaturned to the company. He recognized two of mine as ones he made.

I've never seen a front block on one before. These were all custom ordered, so there are a lot a variations - as many as there can be with only 85 5s and 11 4's around. I'll post pics of my other ones tonight. These are the only graphite necked basses I've ever liked. Funny, but the bolt on Moduli have never done it for me either.

Be back later with more pictures.

12. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Dang.. Modulus makes some really cool stuff. They look great and sound awesome, too.

I want one! :bawl:

13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I want a Q6.

I love the Q6 bass.

14. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    That is one awesome bass.

Any here anything about their four strings?

15. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
  16. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    The 5 string Quantums are the only thing I hear about so just wanted to hear opinions on their 4s. No doubt in my mind they are just as impressive.

17. jeflepard

jeflepard

Nov 11, 2003
    USA Atlanta, Ga
    I really loved my Fender RB5's but I played a Reverend Brad Houser 5 and I was blown away. The neck was incredible and it had the old school sound with the new school playability. I loved the neck. I would love to buy one to go along with the Modulus.

18. tsarter

tsarter

May 14, 2003
    Santa Rosa, CA
  19. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    I had no idea they made so few. WOW. I don't see myself ever selling the one I have. It fits like a glove and sounds outstanding.

yes, the Mike Gordon one was finished last year, but the neck was made a long time ago (so I hear).

20. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Mike's Modulus is amazing. Went to see them live and was blown away by his sound and tone. Have to warrant one for a purchase.