Modulus Quantum B string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by delaybf, Nov 12, 2002.

1. delaybf

Sep 27, 2002
    Terre Haute
    I'm saving to buy a 5-string, and I like the feel of the Modulus Quantum series, but I'm concerned about the B string. Has anybody had experience with a Quantum? How tight and clear is the B-string?

Thanks for your help.
  2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Like Josh said.

I own one, and the low B is just as crystal clear as the other 4 strings, not muddy or boomy at all. It is also nice and tight feeling, not floppy.

If you are looking for a great 5 string, it is tough to beat a Quantum 5 (and yes, I probably am a bit biased;) )

Which pickups/preamp are you thinking?? Barts or EMG's?
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The Quantum B string is as good or better (or much much better ;) ) than any other B string out there.
  4. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never played a Modulus that didn't have a great sounding B string. The upper register is another story...
  5. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    As good as there is out there. No question about it.
  6. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've got a Q5 and a Q6. Both have Bartolini PUs and 18V 3 band electronics and sound great everywhere on the neck. The B strings on Modulus Q's are the best I've heard.

7. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Quantum's have awesome B's. The only one I have ever heard that beats them is a Roscoe.
  9. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    My thoughts exactly!
  10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The b string on my Q5 is so good, I sometimes play entire sets using nothing but it!!! :)

Well, maybe not, but it is good.

I have never played a Roscoe, but I can't imagine a better B than the Q5. It is the first, and really, the only 5-string that I have ever played that I felt had a completely integrated B. It is simply one of the strings. It responds, resonates, sustains and speaks in perfect conjunction with the other 4.

There just aren't that many basses out there that can make that boast.

11. delaybf

Sep 27, 2002
    Terre Haute
    Thanks for the replies, guys..this pretty much made my decision seem a lot more solid.

I'm planning on getting the barts w/active bass/mid/treble. I've heard people prefer the EMG's...what do you think?
  12. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I've no personal experiance in Modulus 5 strings but I read in Bass Player magazine review that they thought playing a Modulus was like playing one big string, IMHO I don't like basses which sound different between strings so I think this might be an ideal bass for guys who think like me:)
  13. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Definately a personal choice issue. I have played Q5s with both. Some of the EMG-loaded ones sounded great. Others were a little scooped,compressed sounding for my liking.

Rule one would be to play the bass that you are considering and go from there.

There are no hard, fast rules, but IME, the maple-topped, composite fingerboard Q basses benefit the most from the Bartolini PUs.

I have the Barts with the two-band preamp. I have considered replacing it with the 3-band, but I never mess with the EQs anyway, so I haven't bothered. I think the bass sounds great with all the knobs at center detention.

14. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I own both and there's quite a difference. You'll have to decide which you like best. The EMG's have more upper register clarity but nowhere near the "warmth" of the Barts. On mine, the EMG's are also louder and punchier. Mine are Q6's. The EMG pre also has sweepable mids.
  15. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a Q5 I'm selling for $995 listed here on Talkbass and on Check my add out. It may be under Lakland, Modulus, EA for sale.

The bass's B string is clear as day. The others sound clear also.

email me at should you want an inexpensive way to get into Modulus basses.