Modulus Quantum electronics preference?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KB, Feb 22, 2005.

1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Once I get rid of my debt I'm thinking about working towards a Modulus Quantum (4 or 5) bass and I wanted to know people's thoughts on the EMG vs. the Barts on the Quantums. I would assume the EMGs are brighter and a little more sterile (probably more slappable...though I don't slap much).

I haven't ever really thought of myself as a Bartolini fan as I have thought there were always kind of "tame" sounding (but that just may have been the basses I've owned and played with them), but they may match well with the graphite neck of the Modulus. Lane Poor would be nice too, but they are very rare on Quantums.

Any of you Quantum owners have a preference or a reason why you chose one or the other?
  2. AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    I owned two Quantums with EMGs and switched to a Bartolini-equipped Zon. I would say that you're pretty accurate. I found the EMGs way to sterile with the graphite, but I had TBX basses (neck-thru), so they were even more prone to it. I originally blamed it on the bass, but in retrospect, I think the Modulus basses would have been great with Bartolinis.

3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've owned both on Q6's and have kept the one with EMG's. For what I want to hear (i.e. clarity, punch and tonal range), the EMG's with the preamp offering sweepable mids are best. Obviously, personal preference is...well...a personal thing! ;)
  4. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    I've owned two Q5s- one with Barts and the one I have now with EMGs. I think they are both great. I've read quite a few discussions about this subject, and it seems the general perception is similar to what you have already described. I probably would have agreed when I owned the bart equipped bass, but having time with my EMG equipped Q5 has opened my eyes a bit. It just comes down to your personal preference and the sound of the individual bass. You really can't go wrong either way. Does Modulus offer any other types of pickups now?