1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus quantum neck dive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by loveandbass, May 29, 2011.

1. I owned a 95 q5 that had really bad neck dive. It also had the best tone and playability of any bass ive ever played. Any experience anything like this with their quantums?

It was a great bass. If i could afford it i would only play modulus. Would love to buy a q5 again!

2. Never noticed any neck dive with my '91 Q5 - no truss rod in mine so maybe that little less weight makes a difference? Did yours have one?

3. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I owned a couple of Q4s. Never noticed any Neck dive probs. Maybe the best basses ever if I could have gottn used to the 35" scale
    BTW, a 1995 shouldn't have a truss rod

4. Art Araya

Art Araya

May 29, 2006
    Palm Coast, FL
    I have a Q5 and have no problems with a neck dive. It's got a custom Jack Read designed body on it now but even before the new body, no neck dive...

(The modulus can be seen in my avatar to the left)

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    My 93 dead stock Q-5 balances well. Is there a detuner on there or have the straplocks been moved?

6. No. It was stock. Originally owned by steve buslowe of meatloaf fame. Would fall rightoff my leg without a strap.

7. I have a '93 Q6 (pre-truss rod) that has very minor neck dive. Not a problem though as I use a suede strap that "sticks" on my shoulder enough.

8. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    When people talk about "neck dive", they're usually talking about when the bass is being played standing with a strap, not seated. So, it's a good idea to specify whether you mean standing or seated--there are completely different design factors that cause one or the other....

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I've had 5 Q5s. "neck dive" was never experienced. If you want to know what that's really like, get an Epi Tbird or Thumb BO 5!

10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Okay, I did that and it indeed did dive. So I checked all my other basses and got the same result...I don't know that I've ever played a bass that would balance on my leg without a strap.

11. t0t0m

t0t0m

Dec 8, 2008
    Yep, almost all Q5 has pretty bad neck dive (in sitting position).

12. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Most basses have neck dive in sitting position. I've had some that were really awful, some that were moderate, and a small few that would only do it if I completely let go, but otherwise would stay in place pretty easily with just my arm pressing against the body (natural playing position for me), but I've never played one that didn't have at least some neck dive. The only bass off the top of my head that I've seen that is truly balanced in seated playing is a Carl Thompson, where someone posted pictures of the bass sitting on his knee and stayed up without being touched or resting on his body (it was balanced both side to side with the neck/body, but also front to back)

13. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City
    Maybe this thread should be re-titled "Thigh Dive" ? :)

14. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Carl's basses balance perfectly both sitting or standing. The OP may want to experiment moving up the body strap button on his bass, a la Carl Thompson.