Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Quantum or Spector Euro

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chaosMK, Feb 20, 2006.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I've been thinking about purchasing a new bass and have narrowed it down to the Modulus Quantum 5 (used) or a Spector Euro 5 string. Unforunately, no one carries Modulus around here and I havent been able to try one, but have heard good things about it. I tried a Spector Euro briefly, but not enough to really get to know it.

Anyone have thoughts? Which would you choose? I play progressive metal and alternative music.

2. Modulus hands down. Play one and you'll see. They can have kind of a funny too much highs tone because of the graphite neck but a little pre amp tube drive and cutting back the highs on your amp can take care of that.

3. Mach1FT

Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH

How much is the modulus? I've had a Q5 since 91 and never once thought I made a bad choice. other than strings and batteries I Never touched it.. I recently bought a bass with a wood neck and have had more aggravition with with wood moving around than it's worth.. I can see another 15 years out of my Q5 :D

4. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    On ebay, Modulus basses seem to go for around $1200-1500. Spector Euro (new) goes for around $1500.

I've also been looking into the Peavey Cirrus (around $1500 new, $1000 used). Depsite being Peavey, this seems to be a pretty awesome bass for the money.

5. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I'm in the same place, I play progressive and alternative metal and I'm thinking about a spector euro or modulus quantum (except I want sixers).

So if anyone else has opinions comparing these two basses, there's more than one of us who'd be interested in hearing them!

6. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    ChaosMK,
    I've have not played a Modulus in quite some time, but I do remember liking the sound when I did. I think that Rob hit it on the head about the highs being a little too high (at least for my liking) but with some boosting/cutting of the eq, it did sound great. As far as the Spectors go, the Euro's are great sounding basses for the money and the few that I have played recently (they are near the top of my GAS list) have been pretty agressive due to the hot output and they have a great growl to them, but that's what I am looking for.

Shawn

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Both good basses. I think the biggest difference is the string spacing and neck profile. Both basses sound Hi fi ish. Modulus has further string spacing..if you slap it's a better bass. Spectors are very nice too. You have to try them really.

8. Clayman

Clayman

Nov 26, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Both are wonderful instruments and I have owned both. I could only justify keeping one 5 string so I kept the Czech Spector. It’s my “go to” bass unless the situation demands something less modern sounding. Both instruments had features I liked over the other and you honestly couldn’t go wrong with either one.

I could write two columns and compare the Bartolini pickups against the EMGs, the neck size, finish and balance of each instrument but that would be a bit pointless. The neck profile I like might not be what you like. The sound I want from a bass may not be what you are looking for. Both have top shelf hardware, solid electronics and professional construction. What more could you want?

The only way to know for sure is to find a way to play both through an amp that’s similar to your own. $1200-$1500 isn’t chump change and that’s about what either would run you. I got my Spector with a case in like new condition for $1100 so you can find deals around if you look. In the end it came down to me just liking the way the Spector looked and felt a little more.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im in a modulus mood lately so id choose that .

10. With the type of investment you're making, it might be worth your while to go find a way to try both basses on your own rig, or one very similar. Even if it means driving 4 hours just to try out a couple basses, it'll save you alot of potential trouble later. With that being said I think they are both on par with each other as far as quality goes. As mentioned before, it'll come down to which one YOU think sounds and plays better.

11. mbrain

mbrain

Feb 20, 2006
    "I've been thinking about purchasing a new bass and have narrowed it down to the Modulus Quantum 5 (used) or a Spector Euro 5 string."

Regarding the Modulus, I like mine a lot, but I've had to send it back to the factory for neck work (it was built in '98, and the neck moved so that the relief was bad). Not a problem if you're the original owner (so that it's covered by the non-transferrable lifetime warranty). They started putting truss-rods in the neck shortly after mine was built; if I were buying used, I'd be looking for one with a truss-rod.

I also was lucky enough to buy one with the Lane Poor pickups--yowzer. To bad these aren't being made anymore.

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I can't give you any personal info on Modulus, but as my name states, I can take you there. Some don't like Spectors because of the brightness of the maple bodies. The new Euro LX's use alder bodies, a little walnut, and maple tops so the sound is much warmer than the all maple bodies. I've found that the clarity is still there and it seems they've found a happy medium. Because of the fully curved NS body and considerably light weight, they're a dream to play.

13. Koushaku

Koushaku The artist never sleeps, only dreams

Mar 10, 2005
    Albany, NY
    sorry, I don't mean to derail slightly from the original point of this thread, but I was just wondering...why is it I hardly ever see Spector Euro 6 strings around? They are on their site and all.

I can come across Modulus Quantum six stringers easily enough, but only 4's and 5's for Euros, why is this?

Nothing against 4's and 5's :p , I have a couple 5's, but I want a high end six. Thanks.

I also realize there used to be something about spector not making a lot of 6's, but I thought they do now.

14. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I like both basses a lot.
    I used to have both a Euro 4 and 5 and were my favorite basses to date.
    I've never owned a Modulus, so can't give much real-world advice, except I played one recently and it was smokin'.

My Spector 5 was a beast; heavy, full and a great growling tone. I remember stringing it up with some Spector Nickels one time and whew! Talk about hot! They do have a very hot output so you usually can't run the p'ups at full-on unless you have a volume pedal or something that won't OD your amp input. I found this to be the case on most amps I had while having the bass.

Plus neck-through vs. bolt-on is another choice. I used to really like neck-thru's, but after having a bolt-on 5 now, I like how the B doesn't overpower at times the other strings. It's evened out a bit more. However for 4-bangers, I only play N-T's.

Either bass will do ya fine for a long while. I will own both soon.

15. The Modulus will give you a really warm, low-output thump, while the Spector will give you a really, really high-output, cutting sound.

I say that having owned both. I preferred the Spector for the brief period I owned it to the Modulus because I simply like aggressive sounding instruments. The Modulus, equipped with Bartolini's sounded very anemic compared to the Spector with the EMGs and Tone Pump.

In all sincerity though, it's like apples and oranges.

You may wish to go for the Spector though.

16. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I hope you can play both brands. I have 4-string versions of both and I can't say which one I like better. My Modulus has a really fast attack, and IMO it may be a bit more versatile tonally. For me the Spector is a lot more comfortable to play; strapped on it's perfectly balanced. The Spector and Quantum both have a hi-fi sound, but the Spector has more midrange growl. The Quantum sounds a bit more refined.

IMO the Q-5 has one of the best feeling and sounding B-strings I've tried.

Spector's customer support is superb. IMHO Modulus has room to improve in this area.

17. 95JettaCity

95JettaCity

Feb 13, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Me and the Modulus sitting on my lap say go with the graphite!!

18. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    To my ear the EMG pups on the Spector sound sweet. The B is thunderous and the general fit and finish is top notch. For the price the Euro line is very hard to beat IMHO. The CS at Spector has also been very good as I have called before with questions and they always take the time with me. I have never played a Mod at length and therefore do not have much of an opinion. Just for giggles I will say that Mr.Schools sounds fine as can be everytime I see Widespread!:D Play both if you can and see what magic happens....if any.

19. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks for the comments everyone. It's given me a lot to think about!

20. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    +1, my bass was made 9 years ago and the neck is still amazing.