Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Quantum Pickup Configurations

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Jun 17, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Some players say that Modulus Quantum basses with EMG pups are harsh and bright. Yet many say the opposite. I got my Q4 yesterday and sound is more/equal to my liking than my other Bart-loaded Quantums. I did some reaserch and discovered that Modulus uses various EMG pups in the Quantum basses. The two most common ones are EMG-DC and EMG-CS.

Per EMGINC.COM:

EMG-DC: The DC dual coil features side-by-side coils that widen the magnetic aperture delivering a deep, full low end with slightly accentuated midrange

EMG-CS: The CS dual coil adds a steel bar positioned above the ceramic magnets. This combo gives full, broad response with added warmth, while retaining a crisp, defined high end.

EMG-P:The P style features two offset coils that give its sound more low end with brilliant highs

I pulled the pups in my bass and they are EMG-CS. They are the quick-disconnect type as well--just unplug and change, no soldering. Just for fun, I'm going to order an EMG-P pup for the neck position. This is a P-Bass pup in the same housing as the DC and CS models.

This might be old news to you Modulus Quantum diehards, but I just thought I'd share.

:meh:

2. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Good info on EMGs.I've always had a tough time warming up to EMGs (no pun intended) but if top end crispness is what you want then EMGs are hard to beat.

3. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Thanx for that info. I have EMG-DC in my 1990 Q4
    I use the DR High Beam strings, and the sound is
    perfect for me. It gives me more tone than i ever thought possible. :)

4. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Per the EMG folks, the 35-DC has more beef and a brighter top end. The 35-CS has the warmer and more traditional tone. The 35-CS pups are alright with me--not overly bright at all. Last night I played with the treb control at max and the sound was not harsh or noisey at all.

Because of the quick connect system (see pic), I'm going to get a 35P4 to try in the neck position. And when ever I get that "P" itch, I'll just pop it in.

EMG also has several "J" verions in the same housing with the same quick connect system. :)

[​IMG]

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Thanks, JR! I'm gonna take a peek in my Q5 to see what it's sportin'.

Does your pre have the dip switches to control treble contour? Yet another neat feature... subtle but extremely useful.

6. slonlo420

slonlo420

Sep 20, 2002
    Washington, DC
    I too have the 40CS pups in my Q5. I think it's the best of both the EMG and the Bart worlds for the Modulus. You get more warmth and body than 40DC's and still retain those brilliant highs. I havn't messed around with the dips switches on the preamp mostly 'cause I don't want to mess up what I've got going. Anyone string their Quantums with DR Lowriders?

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Same here. Thanx! I'm gonna take a peek inside of my Q5 as well. I have mine strung with SIT's Power Wounds, and she growls like an angry lion!.

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I agree 100%

I played with mine tonight. There is a slight disparity in the switch settings between Modulus and EMG. I brought it to Modulus' attention and they are looking into it:

SW#1.....SW#2......Mod says.......EMG says

[on]......[on].......[2.1K]........[2.5K]

[on].......[off].......[3.5K]........[5.0K]

[off].......[on].......[4.5K]........[3.5K]

[off].......[off]........[7K]..........[8K]

Mine came set with both switches off. This meant the the high freq control was centered at either 7K or 8K. I changed SW#2 to "on", 4.5K or 3.5K.

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I ordered the EMG-35P4 today. It is the same as the EMG-P except is is mounted in the extended series housing to fit Modulus Quantum [and other]basses. Per EMG:

The EMG-P,like all the original EMG's, went through a redesign in 1979. The EMG-P uses short, squat coils that have very little resistance and plenty of inductance. Because the coils are not in
    series like the passive types, there's about twice as much low end as a passive pickup. Ceramic magnets are used to add clarity. Countless pros use it because they find it has a natural presence, powerful lows, punchy midrange,
    and superior definition. The EMG-P features hum-free noiseless operation with an even timbred
    response. The P design was adapted for Ned Steinberger and became the EMG-SS (Steinberger Sound) used exclusively on the Steinberger Headless Bass. In order to make the composite bass sound more natural, we added steel poles for warmth and midrange.

10. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Or, you could be lucky (?) like me and have one of each. Hhmmm, anyone have a 35CS bridge laying around ??

[​IMG]

Chris

11. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I haven't noticed any harshness at all with my EMGs, but I am not going to pop them out to see what kind they are.

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    JR, thanks for the heads-up! I'm going to change my 40DCs to the 40CSs, I imagine they are a better match with the composite/maple of my bass.

13. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    rickreyn,

You don't have too. Based on older Modulus catalogs that I still own, you have a pair of EMG-40P pups. That's P-style pickups in both positions.

14. Fuzzbass

Verrry interrresting.

[​IMG]

15. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Post some pics of your Q4 JRB!!!

I did get that M92 a while back and im totally digging it. It is a little harsh sometimes and i cant get a smooth sound out of it, but the playability and such KILLS and the slap tone is to die for!
    (18 volt EMG pickup) Ill see what kind she is...

Joe

16. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Two EMG-35CS pups in my Q4.

[​IMG]

17. Fuzzbass

That Blackstone Q4 is just amazing. Let us know how the EMG-P works out, I might do the same with mine!

18. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks. I'll post here.

[​IMG]

19. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Thanks. This may explain the rich bass bottom I have.:)

20. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    If you're happy with your Modulus/EMG combination, to know what model of EMG pups you have adds little value (other than knowledge of your gear). If you want to experiment or tweak your sound, then knowing the characterics of the installed EMG pups could be critical.

In my old Modulus catalog, all of the dual pup EMG basses have EMG-P pups and all of the single pup basses have EMG-DC pups.

[​IMG]