Modulus quantum question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by seansbrew, Apr 18, 2003.

1. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    For the Modulus quantum users ,what strings do you use to bring out the best in the bass? The one I have has 2 soap bars ( barts) and the composite finger board and neck. I am having a hard time finding the strings to bring out the sound I am looking for. The stock nickel steel strings were to midrangey.
  2. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have a modulus custom with the 2 emg's
    and i use the DR High Beams, it sounds great
    and they last alot longer than any others i tried, like roto rs66, ghs boomers, they all went dead to fast. DR now makes a few other's like low riders
    but i never tried those. I would never put anything other than the high beams on it.:)
  3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've been experementing a bit lately with nickel plated strings, and while they feel nice, they sound kind of bad on a Modulus IMO. They just sound muddy. I think that a good choice may be the Ken Smith Custom Tapor Core set that are on all of his basses. I try other brands, but I for whatever reason just keep coming back to those strings for their sound, feel, and decent life. Boogie, I wasn't aware that GHS had a special string set for Mods. Is the only difference the length of the strings, specificlly the B string? What are the guages, I could be interested in them.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    When I had my Modulus Q6, I preferred DR LowBeams. I tried about half a dozen different major brands and guages before settling on the DR Low's.
  5. I use D'Addario Slow wounds on My Q5. They have a good bite yet solid bass. This is the first brand I've tried on mine, I've heard the Steel strings wear out your frets. So I'm hesitant to use them, any experience with that or is it hogwash.
  6. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer

Jul 14, 2002
    Aurora, CO
    I have a Quantum 4 and felt that the steel strings were brighter than I wanted. I switched to Elixer strings, which tamed the highs a bit, but left me with a very nice bottom end and mids.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm normally a steel string guy, but have been happy with the OEM D'Addario nickels on my Q5. I should experiment already.