Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Quantum Questions..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassDmb18, Jan 3, 2003.

1. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    I'm very much looking to buy one,a 5 string, very soon. Probably a used one to save some money. Just some questions I've come up with when looking at these beauties..

1. Some Quantums have 2 soapbars, while some only have 1.. Is there a difference in tone, or is there just a big difference in general, like were the ones with only 1 soapbar made in an earlier year as the ones with 2?

2. What are the advantages of a "Sweetspot" Quantum?

3. And, any other suggestions you have? Lay it all on me please. I need all the info before I spend a bundle on one of these babies..

I loved the ONE I tried about a year ago at Mars, and now that they are out of business, I have no where to try them out.. Except for up at "Bass Central" where everyone is telling me to go, but that is still a ways away from me. PLEASE, lay any info you have on me.

~AJ

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Josh pretty much summed it up. I own a Quantum 5 with Barts/3 band.

If you have any other specific questions, I will do my best to answer em.;)

3. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    Please quickly check in Australian Ebay www.ebay.com.au there is abeautiful one and still in mint condition. I am also bidding but price too high !

4. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    Heh, Im gonna look dumb for asking this.. How much is that in US?

5. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    How do Peavey Cirrus or Millenium basses compare? They look the same, neck is different obviously. But how are they?

6. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    you multiply by 0.6 = USD

7. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, for one, the Cirrus and Millenium basses are cheaper (obviously:D ). But they are great basses, no doubt about it. They both have great B strings, but not quite up to Modulus B string standards. They have extremely fast necks--thin front to back, very comfortable to play. Both my Cirrus 5 and my Millenium Plus 4 are a bit lighter than my Modulus, although the Modulus balances better than the Cirrus (very minor neck dive when strapped on). The finishes on the Peavey basses are great, but again, not up to Modulus standards. Also keep in mind that the gloss finished composite neck on the Quantums can feel a bit sticky when you are used to wood necks. This has become a non issue with me, but I have heard some complain about the feel of the necks on the Quantums.

I am terrible at describing sounds/tones, so I am not even going to try. Each has its own signature tone, but I have found that the Bart 3 band EQ on the Modulus is much more powerful/versatile than the 3 band EQ's on the Peavey's, even the Millenium Plus with the sweepable mids. Like I said, I am just terrible at putting sounds into words, so I am not even gonna try.

The Modulus, IMHO, is a notch or two above the Peavey's all around, but that might not be the case for you. You might prefer one of the Peaveys. And the Modulus comes with a substantially higher price tag, if that is an issue. If possible, spend some time on each bass, and see which one "does it" for you.;)

8. Hey, and don't forget about the G4 and G5 Peavey basses with the graphite necks. Those are sweet, too, with good electronics.

9. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Good suggestion. I don't think these are made any more, but they pop up used/like new on Ebay all the time.

The G4 has only one pup, but the 5er has two pups, and I believe they are the same humbuckers and EQ that are used in the Cirrus basses.

10. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I bought a Q5 and a Q6 last year. These are really fine basses. I know of a mint condition Q5 that is for sale. It has a amberburst, quilt top, Bartolini PUs and 3 band 18V electronics. Email me and I'll direct you to the seller (I'm at work and have his email address at home).

moses@compuvision.net

Chuck

11. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    If your going to spend that amount on a Modulus, give Zon a look. As for Peavey I've got no complaints. Any high end bass including the Cirrus that has a professional set up would keep up aswell in terms of five-strings. Spector makes excellent five strings, looking at a Czech 5 would suite your needs?

12. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Nothing Peavey has ever made or ever will make is anywhere near being in the class with a Modulus Quantum. A notch or two? Gimme a break! Try a universe or two.

Not saying that the Peavey is crap, the Cirrus is certainly a great bass; I've played a couple. But it can't even tie a Modulus' shoes! To me its almost sacrilege to mention them in the same breath.

Come on guys!

YMMV, IMO, IMHO, etc.:cool: :)

13. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    I wonder about this, It doesn't look like the same electronics from the specs I discovered on Peavey's website.

Taken from Cirrus Specs:
    On-board studio quiet 3-band active EQ with Bass, Mid and Treble with +/- 10 dB of boost and cut
    Master volume control

Taken from G5
    18 Volt System (two 9-Volt Batteries)
    On-Board active or passive 3-band EQ with push/push active treble boost, master volume and blend controls.

But who knows?

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like the preamp is the Millennium model, which is also used in the Cirrus quilt top models. The G-V does have the same pickups as the Cirrus. If it is indeed the Millennium preamp, I prefer it to the stock Cirrus pre. The preamp is one of the reasons I paid more for a quilt top Cirrus.

15. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, I have been known to be wrong on occasion.:) But are you looking at the G-Bass specs, or the Grind Bass specs?? They are two totally different basses.

16. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    As an owner of both, I have to say I disagree with you. I have no trouble mentioning Peavey Cirrus and Modulus Quantum in the same breath. In fact, I wouldn't be afraid to compare the Cirrus to quite a few higher-end basses that I have played.

This is all based on my personal experiences, of course, and YMMV.;)