1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus Quantum Semi-Hollow vs. Solid Body Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sithian, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Sithian

Sithian Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    Is there anyone on here that has experience with both Modulus semi-hollow and solid body basses?

I am very curious about the semi-hollow ones particularly- will they cut well in a mix? Are they too boomy? Versatile? Anyone try one with a chechen board? How does they compare with the solid body Moduli?

Advantages / Disadvantages?

Thanks in advance-!

2. Sithian

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    Anyone?

3. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    You can hear some difference (but not a ton to my hear) but then again I only tried the hollowbody at the trade show.

Its hard to put in words but I like them both.

Otiel digs them...Can you hear him?

4. Oteil dug the Quantum so much that he put it on a shelf and started using a Fodera :p

All kidding aside, I had a Quantum for a few months and was unimpressed by its sound. If you want to cut through, I would highly recommend looking else where. The Bartolini electronics package featured in the Quantum is the very definition of vanilla.

5. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Taken from His site.

"ยท What kind of gear does Oteil use?

On "Love of a Lifetime" Oteil played his signature semi-hollow Modulus Quantum 6 with Lane Poor passive JJ pickups; his Quantum 5 and fretless Quantum 6 (both with EMG active
    pickups); and his Kydd Carry-On electric upright. All basses were recorded direct.

With the Allman Brothers Band he plays a stock '90s Fender Jazz Bass with an oversize, medium-gauge triangular pick; an Alvarez Wildwood 4070 4-string acoustic bass guitar for the "unplugged" set; and his Modulus 6 for his solo spot. His strings are D'Addarios: Slowounds for his 6-strings, XL5s for the 5, and flatwound Chromes for his Kydd,
    Fender, and Alvarez; gauges .032, .045,
    .065, .080, .100, .130.

Live with the Aquarium Rescue Unit and the Peacemakers, Oteil plugs into an Ampeg SVT-CL head and an SVT810E cabinet.

When truckin' with the Allmans, he carries two SVT-4 Pro heads with two side-by-side stacks, each containing an SVT410HLF on top of an SVTPR-15H. His current effects
    include a Morley PBA Wah and a Boss OC-2 Octave pedal.

... all subject to change based on his muse!"

:rolleyes:

6. I had a semi-hollow Quantum 5 for a while and it cut through the mix like nobody's business and I used it in a variety of settings live and recorded. I wish that I could have compared that Q5 with a solid-body Q5 while I had it.

7. Yeah, I have a Modulus Oteil Burbridge model, and I can't seem to get a bad sound out of it!

8. First of all, all the sounds I get with my OB6 have great definition/articulation or w/e you want to call it. But beware, this will make poor technique obvious, as it won't hide any mistakes in your playing.

Yes, the both sit and cut well in a mix, without getting boomy. Even with full bass boosted, it has great definition.

Like I said earlier, very versatily, especially if you get one with the passive/active switch and 3-band EQ, a plus if you manage to score one with Lane Poor pickups! Terrific pickups! I've managed everything from high-tech slap to motown to Jaco with just the pickup pan and passive switch.

All the tones have a kind of raw quality to them, but the hollowbody ads (at least in my ears) a natural airyness as well!

9. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    You might want to ask Steve Lawson in his "Ask a Pro" forum here on TB. He plays fretted & fretless 6 string semi-hollow Moduli, plus a solid 4 string, and sounds phenomenal. Then again, he's a Jedi bass master so the sound is in his hands.:bassist:

10. Sithian

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    Thanks for all of your advice- great stuff!

11. Miles Berry

Miles Berry Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Redding, Ca
    i love mine, never had any problem with not cutting.

12. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I think this is more evident on any graphite neck. IMHO :cool:

13. Yeah, I guess you are right about that! Anyway, the bottom line is that this bass can do everything...

14. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I disagree. I have a Q5 with Barts and the thing plays and sounds fantastic - to me. I crank the mids (I do on any bass) and I cut through just fine. YMMV.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

but on the other hand, that crystal clear sound is one of the things I like about graphite necks!