Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Quantum....To 5 or not to 5...that is the question.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grahams Groove, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Looking at modulus quantums, and I just cant decide if I want to make the jump to a 5 or not. I played a Q5 for teh second time today (played it for several hours yesterday and several today). I feel pretty comfortable on it, and the string spacing seems to be close to that on my 4 string J-bass that I have now.

It's just that I played a 4 stringer for a few minutes after I was done with the Q5, and I just feel like I am more accurate on that and can fly on that thing.

I know it's all comparative, and I'm used to a 4, but it's a real tough decision.

My biggest fear is that I decide on a 5 and then I don't get used to it and can't get accustomed to the wide neck and low B. (and the other factor that may be weighing in is that I don't know how long the 4 I'm looking at will be around...They are both Quantums)

Any info, input, insight, etc...greatly appreciated. Anyone have any suggestions, stories, anything?

Thanks
    Graham

2. With a bass like modulus it would almost be a sin not to have the low B! Well, maybe not that serious, but modulus is known to have one of the most solid B's around. I wouldn't be worried to much about getting used to the B or the wide neck, instead just go out and play one for a while. If you like it search around for a used Quantum 5 and give it a whirl. Worst thing that can happen is you don't like it and have to sell... but since you bought used you won't really take a loss.

Go five, you really won't regret it, atleast you'll know if it's for you or not. I personally couldn't imagine not having a five string in my arsenal.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses

Graham, I'm pretty sure you'll love the Q-5. Modulus is my personal favorite when it comes to 5- strings, closely followed by Lakland's US-made 5's. Take a chance. If you end up not liking it(which won't happen, trust me), PM me, I'll be happy to buy it from you! :D

My main stage bass is a Q-4, which I really love. The first time I played a Q-4 I was hooked. I passed on it, but I found one a few years later at a good price and I swooped on it. I've heard Modulus has increased their prices :bawl: .
    -AP

4. Yeah, I definately see where you are coming from. I guess a big part of it for me is possibly letting the modulus 4 slip if I opt for the 5 and then if I don't like it, I worry that it may be hard to find a nice 4 in the near future...but that's all kinda 'what if stuff'.

I guess the thing I noticed most was that I felt more fluid and/or precise on teh 4 when doing some slap improv stuff because I could slap the low E with some power without worring about hitting the low B with my hand. I know thats somehting that could be learned on a 5, but I'm just concerned that it may be something I can't get used to that would keep me from being able to do more free-form slapping and stuff like that.

idk...again, it's a tough decision. Responses, counter points...all welcomed.

5. Arthur...what kind of pickup/preamp configuration do you have on your Q4?

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    It has EMG 35CS active soapbars with EMG's 3 band BQS eq system. If you do a Modulus search JR Brown has a really good thread where he compares his Quantums w/Barts to his Quantums w/EMG's. As far as the slap-feel thing you mentioned, same here. My 5 is a MM StingRay-5, I find it very awkward to slap but I'm just starting to put some time into it. I'm sure it'll improve with lots of practice and patience on my part.
    I'd love to have a Q-5, I'm strongly considering selling the SR-5 and putting the $ on a Q-5. There's a nice one on Ebay as we speak. I think there's also a Q-4.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Don't expect to pick up a 5 and be as comfortable as you are on 4. Takes awhile to get used to... took me a couple weeks to get un-clumsy, and a couple months to get comfortable.

8. yeah, I suppose some awkwardness is to be expected...I guess I can't really not by a bass for fear of not getting used to it. Gotta think about my first time ever picking up a bass...now, that was much more awkward.

9. it is a tough choice, I can say that I have been playing a 5 string as my main bass for about 2 years now and I really like having the low B string. if I were buying a modulus I would go with a Q5. in the end you have to do what feels the most right to you. some people just don't vibe with 5ers. you might think about the music you play and how you would make use of the B string also.

10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I play a Q5.

What kind of music do you want to play?

How much do you need those 5 extra low notes and how often to you play in keys like Eb, D, and C?

The low string really helps for playing in those keys too.

11. I played my first Modulus yesterday, and what a B! I'm a 4 string player and the 5 played very nicely.

12. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    A couple of thoughts. I have a Q5 and it is a "no sell/no trade bass". I love it. If I were a four string player I would still buy a Quantum. Now on to the five string part. The Q5 is my second fiver. Yes, it takes a little getting used to....but not long. Once I got comfortable (I was gigging without mistakes in a week) I never turned back. You can do all the four string things on a five but you can't do all the five string things on a four. I don't imagine that a four string will ever be part of my electric bass life.

13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    4?

5???

PSHHHH!!!!!!

Sixerizeit.

(6 Sting)

Hellyah>!>!>!>!>!>!>!!!!!!!!!>>>>>>>!... . . .

14. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I agree with CaptainWally. If the music that you play rarely calls for the low "B" then you don't need it. Think about the times that you've thought "Man I sure wish I could play a lower D or C at this place in a song". Personally, I couldn't play the gigs that I play without a 5. I switched to 5 string back in 1989 after 15 years of playing 4 string and the transition took a couple of months before I felt real comforable on the 5. I play mostly church gigs and almost every song has a low Eb, D or C in it. The songs just wouldn't sound right without it. On the other hand, if the music that you play doesn't call for it, save some $$$ everytime you replace strings. The low B isn't cheap!

15. DevinI

DevinI

Apr 1, 2004
    if i were you i'd get the 5 string, if you end up getting a 4 your ognna keep on thinkin about that 5 and wish you would of gotten it, with some practice you can be play the 5 like you play the 4 stringer and then you just got the extra string, i was havin a tough decision between 4 and 5 string, and i decided i'd just stick with the 4 string, as time went on i kept havin that urge for the extra string