Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Quantum vs. Genesis - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davo737, Jul 26, 2000.

1. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Modulus Quantum basses versus Genesis basses. Does anyone have any imput in this matter?

Regards
    Davo

2. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Davo737:
    Modulus Quantum basses versus Genesis basses. Does anyone have any imput in this matter?

Regards
    Davo
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hey Davo,
    I think it comes down to whether you like the feel of graphite necks, 'cause that's the main difference. The Genesis has a wood neck shell, as I'm sure you know. That to me would be the advantage, because I do not like the feel of graphite under my hand. I played a Genesis at GC and it felt great. All the advantages of graphite without the plasticky feel (strictly IMO). A guy I know, in fact he pops into this forum every so often, is a touring bassist, and he's playing the Genesis Vintage Jazz, and he says they are very sweet. That is about my dream bass right now.

3. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    I tried them both. The sonic qualities/neck profile/feel were the biggest differences. The 4-string was only 34" compared to other Modulus basses which are 35". Also, being a slightly less expensive, the Genesis had fewer options than the quantum. In the end I bought the Quantum four Sweet-Spot because of: 1) the sonic qualities/tone 2)the 35" scale 3) neck profile/taper 4) available options Even though the cedar on the back of the Genesis neck felt better and was almost $200 less. I suggest you go on a road-trip and try a few out.

RGDS

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    As another player who hates all-graphite necks, I'd have to go with the Genesis. It's good-looking, thanks to Michael Tobias, well made, and relatively inexpensive (perhaps because it's overlooked by most Modulus afficionados). Most importantly, the combination wood-graphite neck to my ears avoids the tonal same-ness which characterizes pure graphite necks.

5. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    Also: I ordered my Quantum with a Granadillo (real wood) fingerboard. It helped warm up the sound, and looks good. But mostly I liked the feel much better than the synthetic fingerboard.

6. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Another thing I was wondering was if the Low B string on a Quantum 5 is tighter and cuts better than the genesis, or vice versa. Thanks again.

Regards,
    Davo

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    O.K. here goes:rolleyes:....... I just came back from Mars Music and 1. they had 3 quantums4,5,&6) and had one genesis 5, 2. Genesis 5 is 35' scale (4 isn't). I personally loved the genesis so much through the crate amp I played through, its the only bass I've ever played that even had a chance to turn my head away from my Sting ray 5:eek:, 3. I played them all through the same amp w/out changing the amp in anyway. Genesis has just had released the Bartolini NTBT onboard preamp (model I played);) and Bartolini soap bars (did'nt have those though):(. Bottom line I loved the Genesis (oh baby I want one bad) but the quantums probably what you'd want if you wanted to go graphite though anyway right?:confused:I'd probably still go with the J's though in the genesis though(bartolini's are great in 'em.

[Edited by FiXeR on 01-06-2001 at 06:27 PM]

8. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I love both the quantum and genesis series basses by Modulus. Personal preference: Quantum. I love graphite necks, and now that they have a truss rod, all problems are solved. I really don't think they feel plasticky... But you can order them with a satin finish. As far as sound is concerened, the genesis is a jazz bass. If they made a genesis bass with 6 strings, my choice would not have been so easy. The quantum is not, meaning that the sound is far more modern. I recently ordered a modulus bass with a granadillo fretboard. The wood board really helps to warm up the sound of the quantum basses.