Modulus Quantum vs Peavey Cirrus

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cjazz50, Apr 26, 2001.

1. The Modulus Quantum costs about twice as much as the Peavy Cirrus. Is it worth the price?

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I can't be of much help here with the Modulus, as I have never had an opportunity to play one.

I own a Peavey Cirrus 5, and I can tell you that it is worth every penny and more that they charge for it. It has the most comfortable neck that I have ever played, has excellent tones, is extremely comfortable to play (both standing and sitting), etc. etc.

I could go on longer about it, but since this is a thread comparing the two basses, I am probably not giving you the info you are looking for.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Two VERY different animals. If you like the Quantum, then yes. Both are great basses, but totally different animals. Worth it either way, imo.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Both fine basses, but way different IMHO.

If you are looking for a bass that cuts through like no other and has a very aggressive tone, get a Modulus with EMGs. But some describe the combination of EMGs and graphite as 'brittle' or 'sterile'. Definitely not my thing. You could get one with Barts, which tames the composite neck quite a bit, but I still can't really get into a Modulus. But they are fine basses, you should check them out, my idea of bad tone may be you idea of great tone.

And then there is the Peavey Cirrus. One of the most underrated(because it says 'Peavey' in the headstock;)) lines of basses out there IMHO, and one of the best values too. They are starting to get some recognition though.

With the Cirrus, you get a neck through wood necked bass with graphite reinforcement and a delicious choice of wood combinations, and a very versatile set of electronics. I almost bought a Cirrus fretless 5 a few months ago before I found a great deal on a used Zon. I am looking for a used Cirrus 6 myself to round out my arsenal:D.

Like I said, both great basses, try them both out for yourself.

Good luck!:)
  5. Thanks for your quick replies guys!

I am definatly not looking for a bright, agressive tone. I play mostly jazz (as my name suggests). I was thinking of a Quantum with barts and a grenadillo fingerboard. I do need to try them, though. I played both of these bases about a year ago and don't really remember what they sounded like. (I also wasn't a very good player then and didn't know anything about pickups/electronics/woods)

Thanks again. ;)
  6. bassheavy

bassheavy banned

i concur.

modulus is a great bass though. i sold my quantum 6 to get my wal.

ive had my peavey Rudy Sarzo Bass for about ten years and i love it!! i think it is basically the same bass as the cirrus. almost certain it's the same elctronics.
  7. As others have said before,both great basses,but it is like apples and oranges.I can honestly say I've tried both of them and they are excellent choices.You mentioned that the Quantum is twice the price of the Peavey.That would be totally true if you buy the Modulus brand spanking new;however I just finished checking out basspalace, bass central, and bassnw.They have great prices IMO and some comparison shopping ought to shave down the cost of the Quantum.
  8. I have a modulus genisis 5. brittle and sterile are not in my vocabulary..very nice tone due to the woods used in construction,warm and woody sounding,and I get the attack and sustain from the graphite spine(not to mention a really stable neck). you get the of both worlds,you might wanna check one out.