1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus Quantum vs. Pedulla Thunderbass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SgtKoi, Feb 19, 2008.

1. SgtKoi

SgtKoi

Oct 27, 2007
    Hi again,

I am still thinking about the 4-94, but there are more possibilities with soapbars. Yes, I know the Modulus has a composite neck, whilst the Pedulla does not. I am also looking at Zons. I would buy these basses used. Funk/Hard rock. I know the Quantum is more hi-fi sounding, but can I get a P-nut sound out of it? I don't want my bass to sound brittle and sterile, will the graphite neck do that? I think (no research here) that I could get more tones out of the Thunderbass.

Thx

Roy

2. P-nut? I find your choice of basses curious. I have a Thunderbass and I've always thought of it as sort of a rich sounding, hi-fi, modern bass. I definitely wouldn't use it for heavy rock/heavy slap music.

3. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I owned a Thunderbass for a little while, and it was AMAZING.
    That said, it wasn't terribly versatile. It did its thing and it did its thing well. The maple body was punchy with a tight foundation and that allowed for a great sound.

But that sound is awesome, ESPECIALLY in the studio.

Dunno what to say. If you're buying expensive basses like that you better try both of them extensively.

4. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    This is a spectacular bass.:bassist:

5. Well, you'll hear all sorts of opinions on Modulus Quantums, or any graphite necked bass for that matter. Both good and bad. I'd say my Quantum (Bart PU's) is the most versatile bass I own. I can go from jazz to metal in an instant. It's the only bass I own that I can use for every genre of music. Don't listen to people who say they're brittle and sterile (talking about Bart equipped Quantums). It's simply not true. Clear-sounding, yes. Brittle and sterile, no. It's also not true that they have no low end, like some will say. My Quantum has tons of low end. In fact, I actually end up cutting the bass knob a bit. I don't know if it will give you a good P-Nut sound. Might need a Warwick for that. But it's great for rock, metal...anything. I've played a couple of Thunderbasses before but I'm not really qualified to give a detailed comparison. The ones I played were very nice, though I'm not sure they could be as aggressive as the Quantum can. They both have a modern, hi-fi type of vibe. The Thunderbass does have an insanely thin neck, which I actually didn't care for.

6. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    To my ear, the Modulus graphite neck and the EMG pickups are a marriage made in heaven - and the Barts simply don't work - you'd get a superior sound out of an Epi Thunderbird. Both Modulus and Pedulla are a modern piano-type sound, and both are good choices.

7. Horse dung! :) I can understand the fact that some people prefer EMG's over Barts on Quantums and vice versa. But to suggest that Barts degrade the sound to Epi Thunderbird levels (sorry Epi Thunderbird users)! :rollno: To my ears, Barts make Quantums sound fuller, more versatile, and more organic while still retaining clarity. I've heard Quantums with both types of pickups and they both still sounded very recognizable as Quantums. They just sounded like they were EQ'd differently. I happen to prefer Barts, though both are good choices.

8. Flintc

Flintc

Aug 15, 2006
    Alabama
    This isn't quite right. If you're looking for that "fuller, more organic, retaining clarity" sound, then you're better off with the T-bird. It does a superior job making that sound.

The main point is that Bart and EMG turn the Quantum into completely different instruments. If you want that magic sound, Modulus and EMG do something nothing else even tries to match. Bart and Modulus just aren't a good fit, in the sense that if that's the sound you're looking for, you can find it for a LOT cheaper.