Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Quantum Wood Choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by keoliphant, May 25, 2004.

1. keoliphant

keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I was wondering if all Modulus Quantum's are contructed with the Alder body with the wood choice being the topping wood.

I see a lot of different Quantums with different tops advertised on BassCentral and BassNW:

Lacewood, Bubinga, Quilt Maple, Maple Burl, Chechen, & Walnut. Some of the advertisements specify the alder body but most do not specify. I looked on the Modulus web-site and did not see any options other than Alder.

Also, does the topping wood affect the tone of each instrument? if I were to pick up a Q5 with a Maple top, will it sound different than a Q5 with a Lacewood top? Bubinga top? etc?

Can any owners let me know about what top they've got & the tone they get from their bass...how it fits into a mix with respect to the type of music you play? Also, does anyone know what type of Q5 Stefan Lessard plays with (electronics/wood)?

Thanks in advance!

Ken

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    As far as I know, the only option for the body is Alder. I haven't seen one without an Alder body, but that doesn't mean that at some point in time that they have made one with a different body wood.

IMO the top does add smething to the sound, but some may argue that the varience in wood period would alter the sound, not just from the specific top. I had two Q5's: one with a 5A Quilt Maple top, and one with a Spalted Maple top. Both basses had the Bart electronics package. The Quilted top had a slightly brighter sound than the Spalted top. The Spalted top had more to offer in the mids. Again, I can't say for sure that it was the tops that changed the sound, but there was definitley a difference between the two.

I have played a few other Q's in the past, and if memory serves me right, the one that had the most bite was the one that had a Lacewood top. I also played one with a Chechen top that had a more mellow sound as compared to the Lacewood topped one. I've also played a few Q's that had the Chechen board instead of the Phenolic, and I really preferred the sound of the Chechen board much better. The Chechen warmed the sound up quite a bit.

Hope that helps.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've only seen alder body Quantums. They do seem to have fairly thick tops, but even so I haven't noticed that the top makes any difference. The biggest tone decisions you'll have to make are EMG or bartolini electronics; solid or chambered body.

4. keoliphant

keoliphant

Mar 11, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Thanks guys! Are there any Q5 bass players living around Portland, Oregon? I'd love to give a Quantum a try.

Ken

5. thumbin

thumbin

Dec 20, 2006
    Oregon City, OR
    I'd love to see a bubinga or ovangkol modulus... or even wenge... that thing would growl like no other :D