1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus Question for Steve

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Sithian, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Sithian

Sithian Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    Hi Steve,

Would you please be able to help me with a Modulus question? I am currently torn between 2 different Q6 Modulus basses- the first being a chechen / chechen , the 2nd being a semi-hollow with either a phenolic or chechen. I am not sure which direction to go. I play all styles and am looking for the best most versatile tone- I know I can't go wrong with either, but would love your insight- What do you think? Thanks!

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hey Sithian,

as you say, either is going to be great. I'd definitely go for the wooden fingerboard. The semi-hollow is obviously something I really like, sound-wise, I think it changes the mid-range, and has a slightly more resonant 'acoustic' edge in passive mode (if you have a preamp with a switch - I'd definitely recommend that!)

So my choice would be semi-hollow w/ wooden fingerboard, but that's as much a personal choice as anything... I really like the solid bodied Q6s that I've used as well (I've borrowed them for gigs in the US before now - there are some video clips on youtube of me playin a green-burst one at Bass and Beyond in Sacramento...)

cheers!

Steve

3. Sithian

Sithian Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    Steve, Thanks for the reply- and great clips! One more question- this is going to be a fretted bass- do you think that the combo of fretted/ semi hollow/ chechen will nullify the punch at all? Will the instrument still lend itself to funky fingerstyle playing and cut through the mix? When you say it changes the mid-range- would you say it accentuates the low mids? Your feedback is much appreciated!

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    hey,

I've got a fretted semi-hollow Q6 - admittedly, it's a one-off custom carved top instrument, so a little different, but incredibly versatile tone-wise. I've never had a problem with it having a funky, punchy sound...

I think your choice of pickups and preamp is key though. If you can, get Nordstrands in it...

Steve