Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

modulus question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stinkoman20xx, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Does the truss rod on the new ones really make much of a diffrence in the reliability of the neck? I have never heard of a modulus neck twisting or warping except for the earlier ones they made for the musicman on the cutlass. I had a flea with out one and i loved its action and feel. Also how does the tone compared to a quantum sweet spot to that a of a flea?

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    My Q-4 has the 'truss rod'. I think it's more for making suble relief adjustments. I set mine when I bought the bass about a year and a half ago. The neck hasn't budged and I live in an area with extreme climate changes.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The "truss rod" is more properly called a "relief adjustment system" (or suchlike) because it is not there for increased stability. As Arthur said, it only exists so that the player can adjust the relief of the neck to his/her liking.

Both of the Moduli I owned had the adjustment system, and the necks were amazingly stable. In both cases I was happy with the factory-set curvature, and it never EVER shifted, so I never had need to adjust it. I suspect the same will be true for you!

4. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am by all means no expert in the field of Modulus necks but I will share what I have researched. I agree with others in that the truss rod in Modulus necks is really intended for personal relief adjustments and not for stability. I think I would like to have one as the Flea bass I tried out once didn't have the truss rod and the preset relief wasn't what I would normally like, and there wasn't much room for adjusting as the bridge saddles were as low as you could go. So what to do in that situation? I have asked a couple of techs around my area about their thoughts on the graphite neck. One was quite verbose about how graphite necks can warp despite what is claimed. Another tech agreed somewhat indicating that yes it can happen but not often and the fix is generally easy (something to do with heating the neck to a temperature where it can be adjusted). I can't image what it would take to warp a Modulus neck but I think it would be nice for peace of mind sake to have the truss rod.

5. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Thanks for the replies. what are the tonal diffrences between the quantum sweet spot and flea bass?

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    diferent pickups, the flea now uses a bart MM pickup that some say that it is a dual jazz in a mm carcass. the sweet spot uses EMG humbuckers in the sweet spot, The tone of this basses is affected by the amp youre playing on and the kind of pickup youre using.
    The flea should be more pounchy and the Q-SS more hi-fi'ish

7. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Also, don't forget about the difference in scale (Flea=34", Sweetspot=35"). That will make for some differences in tone, although I'm not sure how to put it into words. Can anyone else help in that department?

8. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I had a flea 4 with lane poor regretted letting it go but was bit cold for me and not enough thump but im wanting another same with the sweet spot. what exactly do you mean by hi-fi ish sound?

9. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have 90 Q4 and it just survived long periods of being exposed to humidity, as it survived 3 major hurricanes all
    with power outages at my house. The neck is still perfect
    and it did not even go out of tune.I have traveled with that Bass for years between here & L.A. and the neck has never
    moved.

10. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    String tension is higher with the 35" scale unless you use thinner strings, I think the tone of the quantum has more "ring" and high mids than a Modulus necked J-style bass I once played (and loved). I'd say the Q5 is the "colder" or more "sterile" sounding bass in general, but with lane poor soapbars I think mine sounds fantastic.

The neck on my older Q5 did warp ever so slightly in the heat of a container when I shipped it to hawaii, and now I wish it had a truss rod so I could give it just the tiniest bit more relief. Instead I avoid the first 2 positions on the D and G strings. Actually, I wish it had dual truss rods. A new neck is upward of $800 :crying: But I tend not to use those notes anyway on any bass, so I'm living with it.

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Before you do anything rash, try running your bass through an Ampeg SVP or Alembic preamp or a sansAmp bass driver DI to fatten it up. Modulus basses have a great foundation to build a tone on, but sometimes they need a little help from outboard gear. Once you get it dialed in you get all the consistency of the modulus with huge tone and perfect playability.

Edit: oops, look like you already got rid of it! Pity.

12. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    no growl just a bass that sounds almost like a midi produced bass sound, but a human stills playing it so it would be impossible to get the highest-fi sound like in midi.