Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by huskies90, Jan 28, 2005.

1. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Hi Eveyone!! I have a 2001 Q4 and I just noticed that the 4 neck bolts in the back have picked up some rust. I am not sure how it got there but I want to get rid of it. Again it is just on the bolts. Has this happened to any Modulus owners?? Does anyone have a suggestion how I can clear the rust???

2. Mine have..

I've had my bass since 1996 so I'm not really worried about it. Hasnt effected anything.

Only thing I can think of to clean them up is sand them down, use automotive rust protector, then paint them.. But, I wouldnt really be worried about it.

3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    very common... it's usually a function of your local climate.

modulus will replace the screws freee of charge (at least they would for me), but it won't affect anything.

4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Might try every time you clean the bass take a q-tip and put just a very little w-d40 on it! Or even better gun oil!

5. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    go to the hardware store and get a bottle of pink stuff called "Naval Jelly"

Take screws out and liberally apply NJ to the rusted area..let it sit and then clean it off...after it's clean of rust put a thin amount of "Break Free" (gun cleaner/lubricator) on it to prevent the rust from reappearing.

6. huskies90

huskies90

May 17, 2004
    Awesome guys!! Thanks for your help. It doesn't affect the playing obviously so I am not too worried. I guess I was more curious if it was common. It is a shame because it is an otherwise A+++ quality bass without a scratch on it.

7. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Every one of the Modulus basses I've owned had rust on the bolts. I guess living in Upstate New York, I never gave it a second thought.

8. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Both of the ones I have owned had a touch of the stuff on the bolts. No big deal really.