Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MODULUS Question????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mz91, Jan 16, 2003.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    hey,
    just wanted to know a little more about this bass. the way it plays etc etc. if anyone has any knowledge on this bass please indulge me...thank you.
    michael

2. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    i know its a Modulus Graphite BSQ6XL-55

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    It is (or at least used to be) known as a Modulus Quantum Sweet-Spot. It has (or had) a single hot pickup in the "sweet spot", which is how it got its name. I remember it used to be an EMG DC pickup, though it could be something else: it's impossible to tell from this picture.

Also, depending on when the model year was, the neck may have a wide fretboard and a thin profile...that's how it was in the mid 1990's, anyway. I know the neck mold was changed in the late 1990's.

I hope this helps.;)

4. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    thanks for the reply....i am still looking for some info, does anybody know where i could get some pictures of a modulus quantum like that one...i just cant help it but it seems so be all im thinking of...the ebay sale stops in 2 days and then i handle with the dealer right? or is the ending price on ebay the final price and he has to sell it for that price? sorry i am new to ebay so i dont know how it works...damn that bass....gotta love modulus. michael

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Make sure you have a chance to play it before you buy it, or at least have a return policy. While many people love Modulus, it's clearly not for everyone.

6. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Like was said, its impossible to tell too many details from that picture, but if that's the original case, that is a model that has the wider feeling, thinner profile neck. Probably between 1991 and 1994.

7. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    i have never played a 6 stringer...but hey, i got the modulus for 920 dollars...so what do you guys think? is that a good price. and the last bass i bought was a olp 4 string...hahahah...well anyways..im waiting for it...give me words of praise...mike:D :D :D :D :D

8. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    a little question....i really like to play slap bass. do you guys think that with a six string bass that becomes impossible, i really have no playing experience on a six string. but i have heard that slapping is near impossible on a six stringer...is that a myth or does that hold some truth????:(

9. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    You can definitely slap on a 6. It just takes a bit of practice. The string spacing isn't as wide as a 4 so you'll need to adjust to the narrower string spacing. After that, you should be fine.

I plan to eventually get a 6 so I've been playing them at the stores whenever I can. You'll notice an improvement even after a little while.

10. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    here you go....some pictures...

11. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    some more...

12. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    last one

13. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    not one compliment on the new bass? okay, i guess imma go take a walk and sink in self pity.....the pain....the pain....

14. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    $920...... in Switzerland?!?!?! Jesus that's an amazing deal - how'd you manage that?

That's good for the US, here in the UK (and I presume that the rest of Europe is the same) a new one is over £2000 ($3000).

It looks fantastic by the way - bastard:D

15. I am very jealous! I play 6 string and have been looking for a good deal on a used Modulus 6 string. So far the best deal I've seen is about $1800 which is more money than I can get together right now! The maple top looks great! -Wes

16. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Nice catch... excellent deal! By the knobs and the neck-thru I'm guessing it's early 90's (don't know for sure). Very pretty bass.

17. BTBbassist

BTBbassist join us for mankala hour!

Apr 20, 2002
    Westlake Village, CA
    I like the matching quilted maple in the body laminate, gives it a sense of unity.

Very tricky bass, it's a bolt on with body laminations. Looks great, enjoy it!

18. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Excellent price tag on the bass, and quite a looker. I hope you can play a six, but nonetheless, a great deal!

19. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    thanks for all the replies....i still have to wait on the bass. and as for the price, yea i am really happy. so happy that the price alone was reason enough for me to step onto six stringers...well anyways...i guess it will take me like 3 weeks to get the bass. when i finnally do i will fill you in on how i liked it...thanks for the replies once again..michael:p

20. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I've always been a bit wary of pre-truss rod moduli necks. I mean, if you've got your hands on a good one with a straight neck, that's cool. I've been afraid to jump at a number of deals I've seen on no-truss models online. If you ever have issues with the neck, I'm pretty sure that Modulus will work with you. Enjoy and have fun!