Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Question??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperDuperStar, May 1, 2003.

1. First off I spent a few hours at a local music store and played a few Q5's and Genisis 5's. I must say they blew the door off of the rest off the basses in stock!!

One I like the most was a Q5 loaded with EMG's, the barts didn't do it for me. The bass with the emgs had 4 knobs, 2 of which were stacked. The sales man was telling me the stacked knobs were treble bass and mid control, unfortunattly that leaves one control left???. So which preamp option was this and what are these stacked knobs controlling?

Thanks.

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    they mostly control how much money you are going to pay for it. And also, how much your friends drool over it. :p :rolleyes:

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The EMG BTS is

Volume/Blend/Treble/Bass/Mid/Mid Sweep

the stacked is the mid (top) and mid sweep (bottom). In the better part of my experience, anyway.

Either that or Volume/Volume, but it's usually a blend knob.

4. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Hey,
    I also have a Q4 with the EMG 3 band system. The rearmost stack (closest to the output jack) are the bass and treble controls. The next one forward is the mid/mid sweep control, outer being fequency select (sweep). Next is pan and finally volume. Hope this helps.

Chris

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I am just wanting to answer this question regardless. Looking down left to right while the bass is strapped on: volume, PU pan, mid cut/boost (top)and mid frequency (bottom), treble(top)/bass (bottom).

I've played a lot of basses, and I have a few left to play. Only the Q5 is left standing.

6. I must say I was quite impressd with this bass. Thinking of going down nest week to put a deposit on ordering a new one. Just going to go to another major dealer and try out some other basses. Then if it makes the cut(I suspect it will), it will be a matter of deciding what colour to get.

I know it will be with emg's and the pre amp I described, 5 string with regular neck width with the satin finish.

Anyone have a link to a picture of one with a blackstoneBURST finish???

Also what to anyone who has ordered one, what was the wait like?

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Can't go wrong. I wouldn't mind Barts, but I have found the EMGs to sound great. I have your specs except the finish, and a 2Tek bridge.

[​IMG]

8. I found that the emg's played off the strengths of the bass more so than the barts.

That is a wicked spalt top, the one I tried yesterday had a pretty poor excuse for one.

I was thinking of going straight black on a Q5, but I don't think it would do it justice. I think a flammed top with a blackstone burst would look pretty sweet.

Do these come standard with a case or gig bag?

9. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Be prepared to wait for your Modulus if you decide to order one. My Q4 took about 3 1/2 months. That was late 2000. My Genesis VJ, one year later, took about 4 1/2 months, after being quoted 12 weeks! Great basses, though. Well worth the wait.

Chris

10. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Mine has a Modulus hard shell case.

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    This is for sale. Just thought I'd add 2 cents.
    [​IMG]

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    JRB

Is this yours, or have you seen this somewhere?

13. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina