Modulus questions/opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I am thinking about getting a Modulus Quantum again. I had a Quantum 5 with a granadillo board and lane poors a couple of years ago, it was a little too polite for me. However, I have heard Stefan Lessard (Dave MAtthews Band) using a Bartolini equipped Quantum and I like it very much. I usually don't like mid control on my basses, too much to mess up for me, Anyone tried a Bart/ Aguilar set up on a Quantum/Flea bass? I am also thinkin about going with 4 string this time, I didn't use the B too much, but I've never tried a four string, Anyone got an opinion on this? Finally for the semi-hollow vs solidbody question, has anyone tried an semi-hollow Quantum compared to a solid one? What does it do (or not do) for the bass? Maybe this would fix some of Modulus' "sterile' tendencies? Anyway any opinions on which type of top to get would be nice also, Canarywood is GORGEOUS! Thanks, MArc
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, Modulus does offer a wooden fingerboard, and that might warm it up a bit...

I've played a few Q4s, and the string response is amazing. The 35" scale makes the strings snap back at you. It's a really nice 4 string. In fact, it's the 4 string I judge al other 4s by.
  3. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    Try Zon basses to cure the sterile thing.

Pix of mine:

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My Q5 is the 2-band Bart preamp w/ Bart PUs. I like it very much. Many here have praised the 3-band, but like you I have decided I wouldn't use it anyway. I get plenty of mid out of the bass.

As stated, you can get Q basses with wood boards. Whether this would "warm" them up to your ears, I don't know. My observation with the couple that I have played was that it changed the feel more than the sound.

For me, I have come really appreciate the "sterile" nature of Q basses. You may call it sterile. I call it clear. I have never played a more responsive, fundamentally clear bass. Ever, at any price. Not that this makes them superior. After all, it's the sum of the bass that gives it character, but I get a little defensive over the "sterile" claim.

I was even quilty of the "sterile" claim when I first played the EMG-equipped basses, but after playing a few more of them, I think it is simply the clear nature of the EMGs.

I do think Quantums sound better with nickels, but I think that about most all basses.

As for the 4 string, get what you want. To me, buying a Q and not getting a B string is like buying the little red convertible sports car and not springing for the big engine!!! The B is one of the most impressive things about the Q basses. But if you don't want/need then certainly don't buy it.

You'll still get the quickness of the 35" scale and GC neck from the Q4.

If you like the composite neck, you should at least take a look at Zon as well if possible. I have a very limited experience playing them, but I will say they are VERY nice also. I didn't observe them to tonally superior to Modulus, but different.

IMO, the clarity, focus and bottom-end punch of the Q is better. (especially on the B string) However, the Sonus has really sweet bite that you can't get out of a Q.

If I had any more money to spend on basses, I would like to have both.

Fit, finish and overall quality are equally excellent.

5. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I think it was the Lane Poors that didn't do it for me. I know everyone loves them and so do I, just not on the Quantum. Those pup tends to accentuate the upper mids and I am a low mid kind of guy. To me they seem to bring too much articulation to an already articulate bass.Again, these are just my opinions from my ears and personal taste and no you can't have them, Marc
  6. Of all the basses I've sold, I probably miss my Q6 with Barts the most. I love the distinctive voice of Modulus. I never considered mine "sterile", just different.

I'll own another Modulus.

7. DinoSco

Mar 8, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Just to add to that, my Q5 is *easily* the clearest-sounding of my four basses. It really forces you to clean up your technique, which I think is a good thing. I've got the 3-band with Barts and I love the versatility -- in my mind, going for the 2-band instead of the 3 is like the comparison of going for a Q4 instead of a Q5. If you're going to get it, go for the gold... you can always just leave the mid-range be, it doesn't have to muddle anything, but it's always there if you need it.

I also agree about getting the 5 over the 4... the B string is really tight and focused. I've never played a Q4 but to me, it's the B string that makes the Mod stand out. Admittedly I have little experience playing other 5s, but the ones I have tried have usually had floppier and less-focused B strings. The Mod is tight up and down the fingerboard.

I love mine and am happy with the purchase. Do a little poking around and you should be able to find a new Q5, 3-band with Barts, in the $1700-1800 range.

(As an aside, Stefan is using Fleas almost exclusively now. He uses a fretless Q5 on their new single, but for almost every other song in the live shows, he is using Flea 4s and 5s. He stopped using the Q5 extensively when he stopped using the Warwick Dolphin, about two years ago.)

Let us know how it goes!

8. I always felt Flea's tone was lacking after he switched to the Modulus Flea basses. Maybe I was hearing that 'sterile' sound you guys are talking about... I don't know. I liked his sound better when he favored the Stingrays. Therefor I never had a real high opinion of Modulus basses, even though I've never played one.

I recently purchased Widespread Panics live cd-- 'Live in the Classic City,' and I must say I think Dave Schools tone is just awsome! I think he plays a Quantum 6 on the CD, although I'm not positive. His tone on that live cd, though, is so clear and ariculate...sweet. ;)

Needless to say I've become a bit more interested in Modulus basses since I got that CD.
  9. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    You are referring to any of the recorded stuff, he usually records with an Alembic or a Wal in the last 3 albums.

I only know him to use the Mod live. Probably b/c it is more bulletproof for his onstage antics.

10. I'm actually not that familiar with Widespread Panic but I've heard good things so I bought this CD. It is a live CD and I'm pretty sure he's playing Modulus basses. The CD is very good BTW.;)
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I love that CD set! And WP. And my Modulus Q6. Dave Schools is a great player. Check him out with Gov't Mule live, too. Killer.
  12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I really like Live in the Classic City too! David Schools gets plenty of solo room on those C.D.'s!
    Awesome tone:D
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Speaking of day this will be mine. Yes, it will be mine....

14. No, say it ain't so :( That green Q6 is the one I've had my eye on. Of course, I just bought a bass from Bass Central (Stingray 5), so it will be a long while til I can afford a Q6. Maybe by then I can find a nice spalted maple Q6 or a black cherry one. Yum.
  15. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've played Modulus basses with Lane Poors, EMG's and Bartolini PUs. I'm not certain what preamps were in the basses but I invaribly prefer the tone of the Bartolini PUs in the Modulus basses. The Lane Poors were my least favorite as they seemed to have no character to them.

16. virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I found a used but not abused Q5 with Bartolini pickups,3 band Bartolini preamp,and a Chechen fretboard at a very good price recently.I have also spent time playing other Q5's with non wood fretboards and/or EMG pickups,and I personally think the Bartolini package with a wood fretboard is a better sound on this type of bass.
    I also find the mid control very useful when I favor the bridge pickup and play staccato fingerstyle stuff;I turn it up about a quarter of the way and it's very punchy.
  17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have a Modulus Q5 with Barts/3 band. It has a tone and clarity that I have not heard from any other bass (a tone which I personally love). Like was mentioned before, it required a bit of cleaning up on my technique, but that is also a good thing, IMHO. It also has a better low B than any other bass that I have ever tried. Some come close, but none have equalled it, to me, anyway.

(get the idea that I really like this thing?;) )
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey man, if you can beat me to it, go ahead. I don't think it's gonna be in my mitts anytime soon. My folks agreed to plunk down for a Uber bass as a graduation present...which means something like that is out untill May (when I graduate) go ahead m' least it won't torment me!

19. LOL. I would love to, but I probably won't be able to afford another bass for about a year (which might be torture when you wander around these here parts:D ). So, if you get to it first, go for it. You'll just have to invite me to check out that amazing green quilt in person and take it out for a spin!
  20. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Anyone think that the bartolini/ aguilar combination would warm up the sound any? Like on a Modulus VJ4? Thanks