Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

modulus replacement necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mental Octopus, Jan 15, 2005.

1. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i am looking at getting a modulus genesis replacement neck, the one with the graphite spine capped with alder. does anyone have any experiences with them? i think the modulus vj basses have them also....

i want to fit one into my modulus flea bass, does anyone know if it would fit? can't find measurements anywhere and modulus customer support seems to be nonexistent.

2. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    N.Y.
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    I once owned a Genesis BG4 and it had the most stable neck.

As for specs...I don't really know, but I do know that with NAMM coming next week you will probaly not get an answer from Modulus unless you call.
    They have a very small work force (like 10 people or so), and I know that they would be very busy right now.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have actually had pretty decent luck getting responses from Modulus in the past, but if they are busy now with NAMM coming up, I can see why they might not have time to answer.

ON topic: Sorry, I don't know the specs either.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dunno specs but i had the chance to play a Q4, 34" mg jazz with all graphite, and an mg 34" jazz genisis. The genisis was AWESOME. a great neck and a great bass. the graphite necked one was much more "modulus" sounding, but differed from the quantum. I want all 3.

5. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i've heard that modulus does not sell replacement necks under any condition.

6. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Ditto to that. I wanted to replace the neck on my genesis 5'er (long gone) with a fretless replica, and they told me that they are only in the business of building completed instruments.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, that would make it difficult to do what he is looking to do then I guess.

8. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    actually, according to their website and most current catalog, they DO sell replacement necks. i have no idea on the specs though, but i remember they have p and j dimension necks, and according to www.string-it.com (i can't open pdf's at work for some reason so i can't see it on the modulus website), they have a genesis vj4 neck
    http://www.string-it.com/pages/products/modulus.html
    :bassist:

9. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    yes you're right i have seen them in the newest catalog. i've also talked to Gard from bass central and he says that they definitely do it.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    FWIW, before they ever began making j copies, mg sold replacement j (and i think p) necks called "basstar".