Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus semi-hollow Quantum

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yamarc, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Anyone tried one of these? What is the difference between the solid Quantum and this one? Does it make it warmer? Thanks, Marc

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think you mean the Oteil Burbridge model. Never played one, but htey're surely interesting...

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    They no longer make the OB model, because he left his endorsement. Now, semi-hollow is a $600 (or so) option.

Honestly, there isn't a terrible HUGE difference, however the one's I've played 1) initially sounded much better acoustically (good sign), and when amplified they 2) more depth to the tone all the way around, but especially in the bass, 3) toned down highs; not as shrill, 4) surprisingly, more clarity. It would seem like #2 and #4 would negate each other, but it wasn't so much of either to prevent the other. However, the changes were not drastic, but I did like it much better on fretless. I wouldn't go solid on fretless, but I'm fine with it on fretted. Also, finally, the body is lighter, which is nice, but it also means you feel the neck dive a little more.

Basically, try one.

4. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    Why did Oteil leave his endorsement? The only other concern I have is for the fingerboard material. I have had a Quantum with a wooden fingerboard and loved the feel and attack of the note, does this vary much from the composite fingerboard? It the composite too bright or harsh? Even on a semi-hollow? I like the idea of it being deeper and the f hole just looks so cool, Thanks, MArc

5. He went to Peavey. Seriously.

6. good god why?

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :confused:

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    What's interesting is that he's yet to really get anything out of it. He still plays his Moduli and Fenders.

The composite board isn't as warm as the wood, but it's plenty warm. My board is composite, and my tone is VERY warm. Takes a little more EQing to get my perfect tone, but I like the extra snap and clarity.

It's all personal preference. Try them both; they're both good.

9. Yeah, I think he uses their 412TVX cabinets, Max Preamp, and some power amp, but basswise, he's still using the old stuff. I'm wondering if he couldn't have just taken the amp part of Peavey.

Anyhow, Steve Lawson is playing a fretless Quantum 6 with the "Oteil" body. His tone is great on his albums. I've always been interested in the semi-hollow Moduli because it allows you to get a top in cedar or something that should be a little "warmer". It might address some people's concerns about graphite being too bright.

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've played a Cedar topped semi-hollow fretless twice (two different basses), and they were exceptionally warm, growly, great response over the whole neck, and killer mwah. I like the simple look too, but now you can't get the F-hole; I think the F-hole contributed to the acoustic and amplified response and made the sound resonate a little better. I've only played one of the new semi-hollows (friend has one), and it's very good, but not as good as the true Oteils. Satin finish would help, though.

11. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Obviously, you haven't checked out a Peavey in recent years...

If Peavey could make an Oteil worthy bass (which they can) at a decent price, we're in for something really exciting.

12. I dunno Big Wheel. After finally getting my hands on a Cirrus 6, I sold it shortly thereafter. It's a nice bass, well-designed and put together solidly; playability is very good, but it didn't do a whole lot for me tonally. The electronics seemed relatively "undynamic"--it definitely sounded like a bass, but not any particular bass. Obviously, it's just my opinion and I'm glad for people who like em, but I'd still choose a Modulus over a Peavey any day.

EDIT: I also realise that some people would make the opposite choice and be completely happy.

13. ditto, except i still have mine unfortunately

14. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I'll agree with you on that one, but one thing I found out about my TL-6 is that while the the tone doesn't make me particularly elated, it sounds great when recorded or playing with a group, which is what it's all about.

I also think a lot of basses have a good tone by themselves but don't fit in the mix quite as nicely.

15. Yeah, I know what you mean. The thing with my Fodera is that it requires me to be careful with my technique because it's so dynamic that there's the possibility of some notes really sticking out. The Cirrus (and the Carvins that I've played) seem to be a little more "compressed", which gives you a solid tone that sits well in a mix.

16. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I spoken to some dealers about the semi-hollow feature. They say that it gives a "woodsy" sound to the bass, AND changes the attck drastically. The also say it doesn't make a huge difference in a 5 string model , more so in the 6. Anyone? How much are these going for new? I like the idea of a semi-hollow- kinda like Anthony Jackson's bass, but I think I also really like a more compressed sound, like Warwick Dophins or neck throughs, tryingto decide what all this means anyone? Bueller? Marc