Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus sound samples?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Can anyone direct me to any type of Modulus sound bite? I know Flea uses one, but I'd like to know how the Quantam series sounds. And of course the GC has nothing but a few decent Ibanez.

Thanks.

2. Yeah. I want to hear some too.

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    If there's enough interest I could always borrow one or pick one up and put it on www.basstasters.com

whatcha think?

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Dave Schools with Widespread Panic uses a Quantum 6 and his tone is representative, albeit played with a pick most of the time. File is big, however.

WP mp3

5. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The Dave Matthews bassist plays a Modulus. His sound is very characteristic. His is a Flea, but sounds much like my Q.

6. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    I'd be interested in a quantum basstaster run. :)

7. I have a clip of my Q6, recorded through my Ampeg BSP preamp direct. Idk if I can post the clip...it might be too big.

8. My clip is 1.7 Mb...I doubt that it'll fit on here...

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    dave matthew's player used warwicks on most of his albums, and ya never know what flea is using
    all modulus basses sound pretty similar (meaning that they have a charactaristic sound)
    zon graphite basses tend to be a little warmer
    modulus basses can be warmed up a bit by using bartolini pickups and/or a wooden fretboard
    it's hard to describe but they have a very unique midrange with sort of a "clacky" sound i've had a love hate relationship with them for years

10. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    My band
    I used my Quantum 5 to record the bands demo, linked above. Not the best recording (4 track in the basement), but I think it turned out okay.

I was going into an ADA MB-1, into a SWR workingman's 410. On "goot times Bad Times", I accidentally had the pre-amp bipassed so it's just the bass. This was recorded BEFORE I switched out the electronics to a bart set up. The bart set up is WAY warmer and growlier.

11. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Wow, Catphish, ADA mB-1, mod Q5, SWR cab...

somebody is a little bit of a Mike Gordon fan, eh?

12. catphish

catphish

Feb 25, 2003
    What was your first clue? ;) It's even a Q5 TBX Neck thru. He no longer uses the ADA, but I'm addicted to the preamp/midi controller aspect.

[​IMG]

13. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    cool, nice bass!

14. Hey man, that is a pretty tight recording! Sounds almost like Zeppelin! :bassist: I can almost imagine what your bass would sound like with Barts and the preamp...

And you have a degree in Engineering? That's what I'm going for, and can barely find time to play my basses! :(

15. I could send you my clip over AIM...if you want...

16. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    BUMP! :ninja:

I know this thread was created around 5 years ago, but I want some sound samples of a Quantum and all the links are dead. :D

17. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Listen to Phish Farmhouse. There's plenty of reliable Q5 sound on it.

18. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
  19. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Those clips pretty much nail the sound.