Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus: Sweet Mother Of Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, May 20, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I was up in Seattle This weekend, on a Field trip, and got to stop in at Bass NW...highlight: Got to play a coupla Moduli, including a Quantum 4...oh sweet jebus! I have seen the light! Man. I'm into multiple strings (5, 6, ect) but this 4 made me think REALLY hard about that. I mean, this was like a freaking revelation. This was, without a doubt, the single most comfortable, malleable, awe inspiring bass I have ever played, and I even got to try out some of the big guns (Sadowsky, Roscoe, Pedulla, Spector, Lakland, ect) and man, this one Modulus Q4 about made me cry. Now I want a Modulus...

Just thought I'd let you know!

2. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Good choice my man...good choice. You've seen the light.

BTW, why didn't you tell me you were coming up? I could've come up there and met you! I need to take my Ibanez there to get the A string bridge repaired anyway, but I was planning to hit there tomorrow. However, had you told me, I couldn't come up Saturday or Friday!

But hey man, go Modulus, you won't regret it! You should've tried the Q6 with Grenadillo board and 2Tek, that's my fav Modulus 6 I've ever played.

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sorry Angus...totally spaced! I was up there on Saturday, and that place rocks!

I tried a six, and it was by far my favorite six, but at this moment in time, I'm really gunning after that Q4!, course...a Q6 COULD be in the distant future...

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't know, I think that the Q6 with 2Tek is much better!

Shoulda told me though, man!

5. My ideal axe would be a Quantum Q5. Don't have the cash to buy one, probably never will have.

Why is modulus the only manufacturer that makes high-end gear with SOLID colours like pitch-black and stuff? I don't really like all those fancy transparent wood colours.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Plenty do, like Fodera, Sadowsky, Zon, and Conklin, among many many others.

I personally hate paint. Yick. My Q5 is trans black, and you might like that. It's much better than the standard black, imo.

7. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I think its a little odd that the Q4 Modulus
    is 35', and the 5 String Flea Bass is 34'.
    Hmmm.

Any comments?

P.S. Modulus - love'em too.

8. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    its not odd.. Its like saying Carl Thompson only makes basses over 36" scale now.. its prolly just to get a tighter tensions on the strings making it sound more solid :)

9. It's probably just that Flea specified a 34" scale on his signature bass.. although I don't know that for a fact.

10. samoth

samoth

Apr 9, 2001
    France-Le pontet
    Is there a better bass than the Quantum 5.

11. samoth

samoth

Apr 9, 2001
    France-Le pontet
    I think NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I think Yes doh -_-; but each to his own

13. The Q5 can't be a good bass unless I have one.

~note: this is pure, unfiltered jealousy for NOT owning a Q5~

14. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Modulus basses are definitely an aquired taste. However, I think that an open minded player who is patient in his search would be very happy with a Modulus. I played many in the search for my Q6, making sure that I got hold of every possible pickup/fingerboard combinaiton en route. Needless to say I am pleased.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I agree with G. You have to play as many combos as possible first...it's one of the most love/hate basses I've ever seen.

I still kind of wish I'd gotten a wood board and some Lane Poors! :mad:

16. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars

Uh...for you, maybe no, for me yes....;)

17. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Yes..there is and its my Zon Sonus 5 I grabbed from underneath Gard! Buahahahaa :)

sorry for the OT-ness, but to be on topic, I will say this: I do like the moduli quantum series, BUT (always is one..), I do not like the necks and they sound very sterile and cutting (which can be good, but I don't like that sound). My Zon, unplugged sounds sort of like a Modulus...sterile. But plugged in, its very punchy and warm. I still want to try a graphite necked status though, to see how those compare to our Yankee Graphite. ;)

-Neal

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, technically, it's not graphite...it's carbon fiber (or are they the same thing?) that the necks are made out of.

And I love Modulus, to bad they cost a butt load. I played one that was equiped with Barts...it was pretty sweet...course, the necks still trip me out a bit, but I really like them. The wood for the fretboard really doesn't bother me that much. I kinda like the synthetic material actually.

19. Zjarrett

Zjarrett

Sep 17, 2000
  20. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jarrett...will it help you any to tell I have played that bass? And that yes...it's killer?

Didn't thinks so...:D