For Sale Modulus TBX - 1990 - rare neck-through model at a low price!!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by sboarini, Sep 18, 2021.

1. sboarini

sboarini Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2015
    Iowa City, IA
    Price:
    Strings:
    United States
    Modulus TBX 1.jpeg Selling my dream bass! I bought this about 3 1/2 years ago and have played it intermittently but with a baby and moving away from my band just don't foresee playing nearly as much anymore.

From the OP from whom I bought it:

I'm selling my beloved Modulus 5 tbx. This bass is killer !!! Great tone!! Modulus made VERY FEW Neckthrough body basses. It was made in 1990 this is one of the first ones of the TBX series. It has a maple top over an alder body in green/blue burst finish (the neck is blue and it was one of the few that were made with a wood veneer covering the neck on the front).
    It has EMG 35,J and 35 P pickups and an active 4 band preamp (the preamp is fantastic ! The guy who sold me the bass thinks it is made by John East). The bass has gold hardware right now (that I installed) but it came originally with black hardware (I will send it with the Black Hardware-unless you prefer the gold one, but the Gold bridge is a little bit smaller than the black one and you can see part of the body underneath. The original black ABM bridge fits in perfectly though). The bass is in great shape except for one thing:

The maple veneer laminate that covers the Neck on the front is separating and moving up by the bridge area only; this is to a point that you can see the maple lifting up a little. I spoke with Kevin Brubaker and he said any qualified luthier could fix it by gluing and clamping down the area back to its normal position.
    This is purely cosmetic ! It does not affect playability or tone. The neck is straight as an arrow.
    The bass comes with non-original hardshell case.

I did not get the bridge fixed and have played it since I got it without issues. The price reflects the imperfection. I could only afford the TBX because of the reduced price and if there's someone else out there like me I'd recommend going this direction!

Selling for slightly less than what I bought it for! Insured shipping in the USA is included in the price. Paypal. No trades at this time.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    elgecko and dave64o like this.
  2. sboarini

Nov 9, 2015
    Iowa City, IA
    Modulus TBX 1.jpeg Modulus TBX 1.5.jpeg

Attached Files:

raal likes this.
  3. Spreck76

Spreck76

Dec 4, 2003
    Louisiana
    Beautiful bass. Any way you could provide better quality pics of the body? These are very small (less than 2 kB in size). Really can’t see it that well.
    Thanks.

Fred312b likes this.
  4. sboarini

Nov 9, 2015
    Iowa City, IA
    Yes will get some up later this morning.

5. Green Knight

Green Knight Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2016
    I had one of these pretty recently and paid prob 1000 more! One of the smoothest players I ever owned. While I've since moved to short scales, I could, for some reason, perform stretches on this neck I couldn't on other standard- and long-scale necks. Easily the most articulate, dare-I-say-piano-like-tone-having bass I ever did own.

sboarini likes this.
  6. conttador

conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    I spoke to Geoff Gould about my TBX and he told me the preamp on mine at least is a Bart. Nice Axe!

sboarini likes this.
  7. tangripper

tangripper

Apr 5, 2018
    Myrtle Beach
    how straight is the neck?

8. conttador

conttador

Jun 10, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Someone better get this before I make an impulse buy!

sboarini and five7 like this.
  9. AlembicBob

AlembicBob

Dec 28, 2004
    MA, US
    I was first owner of one that looked almost exactly like that back in the early 90's. Bought it as a new leftover at Gelb back when I travelled more for work (you don't want to know how low the price was). It was stolen from my car a couple years later, but was replaced under insurance with a freshly made version with custom woods (cocobolo over mahogany) and electronics (All Bart). I want to say mine had chrome hardware, but I'm digging for a photo from that era. I know it had the EMG pickups, but not what preamp was in there. The tone was super clean for anyone looking for that piano tone. I think I had more of a quilted figure than a flame on mine, so pretty sure this isn't it, but I bet it has a similar tone.

sboarini likes this.
  10. sboarini

Nov 9, 2015
    Iowa City, IA
    Neck is dead straight

11. sboarini

Nov 9, 2015
    Iowa City, IA

Attached Files:

12. sboarini

Nov 9, 2015
    Iowa City, IA
    Hi everyone - sorry, it’s been chaotic around here! Just finally got some better/newer pics up and sorry for any confusion! I re-posted the original description of the instrument from the TB posting from which I bought it, so can’t answer some of the questions about the OP’s luthier.

thanks for all the great comments, and I agree! This is a really clean and beautiful tone, very playable, and just a terrific bass at an amazing price!

13. sboarini

Nov 9, 2015
    Iowa City, IA
    13F5338C-6B60-4C02-B380-3128142860AB.jpeg 853EB07F-2F5F-4129-8309-11599F562EB1.jpeg B74585C7-1650-4725-AA7D-20B9ED472772.jpeg 63E5668D-814A-49C4-A1B7-0D5AA4767AE5.jpeg

14. sboarini

Nov 9, 2015
    Iowa City, IA
    Had some requests for pics of the back in PMs so here they are!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021