Modulus "truss rod"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Billdog, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Hey everyone! As some of you may know, there are two Q6's up for sale on TB right now. I'm interested. However, my dilema is that one of them is 100 bucks cheaper, but is pre-truss rod while the other is the new design. I don't want to spend that kind of money and find out my neck isn't to my liking. However, I did hear that the older ones had flatter profiles which sounds intriguing. I have played Moduli before, but never got to try an old one to my knowledge. What do you guys think?
  2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My Quantum has a "truss rod", but I've never had the slightest need to adjust it. Unless you're picky about relief then you should be cool without the rod.

Neck profile preference is of course very subjective. Unless you already know you don't like slim-profile necks, I think it's something you will adjust to even if you don't take to it immediately. I prefer chunky neck profiles, but get around fine on slim-necked basses.
  3. I had two Quantum 4's, now only one that did not have the "truss rod". Never had any issues with the neck where I wanted or needed to move it. :)
  4. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    I've had many Modulus basses of all types, some with and some without truss rods.

I had two Quantums without trussrods that had more relief than I would usually desire. One of them wasn't too bad, the other one was really high. Not only was there too much relief, but that results in not being able to bring the string height down to a reasonable level, so you have high string action. The best I could do was to use tapercore strings that sat a touch lower in the saddles.

Whenever you are looking at a Modulus w/o a trussrod, it is best to get a very detailed measurement of the relief so there won't be any surprises. I ask for the measurement to be taken while fretting the first and last fret, and measure at the 10th fret or so. I want the action to be around the thickness of a matchbook cover (2 covers at most).

Also, various bridges have different amounts of height adjustment, so you may also want to get a measurement of how low the string action can be set. I ask for the measurement of the string height at the last fret (24th on a 24 fret neck) when the string is not fretted.

My experience is that the neck relief really doesn't change much over time, so you have to get what will work for you from the start.

In the interest of full disclosure, I think the neck relief should be stated clearly when you are selling a composite-necked bass that doesn't have a 'relief adjusting mechanism'.

5. Billdog

Feb 27, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Thanks. Yeah, I knew that didn't shift (at least most of the time). I was just worried about the action being permanently and irreversibly bad on a non-"truss rod" bass. I wonder if Modulus would be willing to fix/replace the problem if the action was an issue? Since I wouldn't be the first owner I imagine that might be a problem. Thanks again.
  6. I doubt it, unless you pay them