Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Vintage J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by endmelody, Aug 21, 2001.

1. endmelody

endmelody

Dec 25, 1999
    This Me'shell Ndegeocello(did I get that right?) sounds really awesome! All of it comes from her hands, sure, but how important is the bass(mosulus vintage J) in her sound?
    The sound on her albums is close to the coolest "growlin'" I've ever heard!
    Anyone tried this bass? Is it as good as it sounds?
    How's the playability?
    Are the flatwounds important in her sound?

-Endre

2. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Mmm... Modulus VJ...

3. I played one of these one time and it was very nice. I considered buying it but I had just sold my Fender Jazz to buy a five string so it would have defeated the purpose. Very nice instrument. Maybe it will be my number 2 bass.

4. PJR

PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    I picked up a 2000 Modulus VJ from a friend of mine a few months back.....

The graphite neck has a very 'solid' feel to it and is as thin and fast as you would need.

Mine came equipped with Antiquities for p/ups...
    ..which I soon had replaced w/ the original DiMarzio's....which I like better.

Overall.....it's a solid bass...easy to play w/ that vintage 'J' look but modern graphite neck.

I'll probably keep her a while....
    -Peter

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Cool bass, but no cachet. I've seen them on ebay a couple of times and people wouldn't touch 'em. Me'shell endorses a lot of stuff; the only time I've actually seen her play the Modulus was on "Sessions".