Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Vintage Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plasson, Mar 25, 2005.

1. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Hi there,
    I'm Italian and I read you for a couple of months.
    FIRST OF ALL, I'll be really glad to recive ANY KIND of correction for my bad english. :D

I'm opening this topic to recive some different kind of opinions about this bass guitar I'm going to buy.
    I ordered it with the standard carbon fiber neck, composit fingerboard and alder body, 2 Bartolini J pickups, Aguilar OBP-1 active preamp (I asked for an OBP-3 with a concetric knob, but Modulus said that "it ruins the classic jazz-style shape"... :ninja: so I'm gonna change it...), and I've got to choose weather or not to put a flamed maple top on it (I do not like how the top looks plus it makes the bass much heavyer and it's more expansive... but it could sound better) so the dealer ordered a bass with the top and another one without it... both two with a black body and a black pickguard...
    Oh, I was forgotting the Hipshot D-Tuner... :cool:

Now, I'd like to hear your opinions... what do you think about this bass guitar?
    Bye. ;)

2. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    Personally, I would go without the flame top, especially if it's going to be under the pickguard. I know many will disagree, but I find it to be a shame to hide so much of a nice piece of figured wood under a pickguard. Plus, I very much dig the vintage look, and figured tops don't really give that.

About the preamp, it really is too bad that Modulus isn't very willing anymore to do any options that aren't specifically listed. I've had the OBP-1 in a Modulus before (a Quantum, not a VJ), and was pleasantly suprised at how the lower mids seemed to pop out a bit as the bass control was boosted. IMHO, it added an overall thickness that went beyond the frequency range that the typical onboard bass control does. I believe the OBP-3 is voiced similarly, but I would give the OBP-1 some serious testing before making a the final decision to swap it out.

3. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    +1. My VJ was totally passive and was one of the best sounding basses out there. I used the DB924 with it, which is the OBP-1 and yielded great results. Can't go wrong. I wouldn't want to waste a pickguard to cover up good looking wood

4. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Call me mad... but I really don't like the top...

Perhaps I didn't understand well: you belive that boosting with the OBP-1 you get nicer mids? [I can't understand "pop out"]
    A big gap between the OBP-1 and the OBP-3 is that the second one is also able to cut while the first can just boost.

Thankyou for the answers. ;)

5. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Another question: has enyone ever tried the Villex passive pickups?
    Opinions?
    Bye. ;)

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    OBP-1 is treble and bass boost ONLY +18db I think...

The OBP-3 adds mid controls AND all are cut/boost.
    With the OBP-1 I've found it to add a really nice bottom to your bass. The highs can get out of hand if you're not careful. If you're modulus is anything like mine was, you really won't need to adjust alot. This is probably one of the best sounding basses out of the box before adding electronics.

I've heard the villex systems on another bass. Definitely a very smooth sounding pickup. It totally passive with boost only. Not a "growly" pickup necessarily, but definitely a nice sounding system. It sounds very natural and I've seen in make the most difference or offer a tru voice to basses made of other woods outside of the standard alder. Really amplies the wood combo. Can't go wrong with the pickup, but it's definitely not an active system. The changes are not as extreme as one of the active systems such as the aguilar

7. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Yeah, I know.
    Sometimes it's hard to read an entire english forum for me, sorry for the misunderstanding... it's ok now! :D

Well, if I'll need the mids knob or the CUT option, I'll upgrade my bass to an OBP-3 preamp...
    We'll see...
    Thank you... bye! ;)