Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus VJ Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DarkMazda, Mar 7, 2006.

1. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Anyone ever get to try out any of the Modulus VJ Basses with the graphite necks? (I've seen VJ Series with the wooden necks). If so, how do they compare to lets say a Wooden Modulus VJ Bass, FEnder, Sadowsky etc.. this is comparing feel/sound/tone all together

I did have a Modulus Quantum 5 back in the day, but those had EMGs. I wasn't fond of the sound, which was too stertile for my taste. Great slapper, but definitely not a rock driving finger tone.

I've been GASing for a Jazz bassed body/bass for a long time now. Add a Graphite neck to this (Since I own 2 Zons and LOVE EM), I'm definitely considering purchasing one in the future

Any comments would be appreciated.. thanks!!!!:bassist: :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

2. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Are you talking about a Genesis VJ or the graphite neck with wood fingerboard?

I've owned the graphite with the Grandillo fingerboard and it was an awesome instrument. No issues at all. The only reason I got rid of it was to get a 70's jazz bass. Get the Barts and it's all good.

I currently own a Genesis 5 which has a the wood with graphite in the middle. great instrument... I love the sound, but I'm not crazy about the bart preamp. Thinking about changing to a glockenklang 3 band eq. Otherwise, it plays like butter and sounds good. No complaints. The build quality of the genesis is on par with any other high end bas like sadowsky or celinder. The genesis is probably better suited for the tones you are looking for

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ

WEll the one I was looking at was the VJ Genesis with the Graphite neck and Phenowood board, I don't know if that will change anything when it comes down to it..

I'm sure the build quality must be flawless, which is what I would expect from Modulus. I know that he Modulus/Zon have totally different necks, but I remember loving the Modulus 5 string neck. Very flat D shape and very fast. I mean, I LOVE Zon necks as well.. Just wondering about the sound -.- I'm like GASing like crazy over the Jazz Body/Config at the moment

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

4. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
  5. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    I have a VJ with a graphite neck.

it's heavy.

It doesn't have many frets and the heel block gets in the way.

But it sounds really good and the neck can survive a volcanic explosion without needing adjustment.

6. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thats because its a J-bass ;)

I think the VJs are fantastic, I'd love to own one. I agree that bartolinis are the right pickups to load in them, since their darkness balances the brightness of the graphite neck.

7. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I briefly owned a Modulus VJ with the quantum neck. The neck was fairly heavy and for some reason the frets were not that well seated--a bunch were high. I didn't do fretwork beck then, so I took it to a local tech. BAD MOVE!

The tech decided that the smooth Quantum neck needed to be scoured extensively with steel wool--ruining the texture. Then he poured lemon oil on the graphite, because he said--get this--'there's actually wood inside there that needs it'. I could've sued or something, but the neck was trashed for me. I sold it on Ebay for a song.

Here's the guys that did it: Music Technology in Springfield, VA.

Oh, and they never actually fixed the fret issues.

BTW--I hated the tone of that bass. It was passive with Barts. SO sterile, I had to use a Sansamp with it every time I played it. Barts do darken tone, but you can darken crappy tone as easily as woody/good tone. My experience was with the former.

I think Modulus Quantum basses are pretty cool for active vibes. But if you want old-school vibe, get a wood necked jazz.