1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus VJ Owners: Let's see 'em and talk about 'em

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gforce9, May 11, 2010.

1. gforce9

gforce9

Dec 19, 2007
    I have a 2008 VJ, Trans blue on Flamed Maple with a phenolic board. It has Nordstrand NJ4SE's with the Bartolini NTBT preamp.

Like:
    -neck feel
    -body color
    -sustain

Wishes:
    -I wish I'd ordered it with the Chechen fingerboard
    -I miss the 1k-5k upper mid range of the setup
    -I don't have enough for another bass :eyebrow:

Attached Files:

2. bubinga5

bubinga5

Jun 6, 2006
    cheltenham(UK)
    Bloody love these Modulus J basses...want one!!!

3. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Probably one of the only boutique-ish basses I've ever thought to be "worth it". Wanted one of my own for a few years, too, since I tried one with a Genesis(?) neck.

That blue body on the one in your pic's just became my favorite color!!!

4. I have a VJ4 Body...loaded (well soon to be loaded). Wish I could find a VJ4 neck for it!

5. Z-Bass

Z-Bass

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    One of my favorite basses that I do not currently own. I've really lusted after one of these for a long time but could never find one to try out. Most of the stores around my area do not carry Modulus and the one that does only seems to stock the Quantum models. Finally after much searching, I was able to demo one at Bass Central a year and a half ago. I was anxious to see how this sounded/played based on all of the information I researched over the years. They had a sunburst VJ with passive Barts and a composite fingerboard. You can imagine my excitement when I finally got to hold one of these. Well it sounded and played great! Sounded quite warm as well. Felt indestructible! The only thing I don't know is how it would perform in a band context. I would love to own one with the satin finish neck and chechen fingerboard.

6. gforce9

gforce9

Dec 19, 2007
    Bubinga- You need to go out and buy one

Groove- The flame under the blue came out more because of the flash.....the blue is a few shades darker. Still looks perdy, though!

Monkey- You can find them on ebay once in awhile; Modulus sells them direct (through a dealer maybe?) for about $600.

Z- I find the graphite neck creates a different 'emphasis' in tone. I think Barts match it pretty well. The Nordy's do pretty well, too. I only wish (and that is only sometimes) that there was a little more 1-5k in it. I think some other p/u's might grant that.

7. Already contacted them....$800 at PlanetBass....which is crazy b/c last year the same neck with tuners and everything was around $600....

8. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I use Nordstrand in 3 VJ's and they sound fantastic all with Audere Pres.

9. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Pacific NW
    I have a VJ Sunburst with Black pickguard, Graphite neck, Bart/Bart system. The neck has the BEST 4-string jazz neck shape IMO. I like it better than the neck on my Suhr jazz actually.

* Bart/Bart system works well with my gear, sounds really good
    * Pickup placement is PERFECT (60's)

Dislikes:
    * Wish the body was a FULL jazz not downsized
    * Body Finish doesn't hold up very well

10. gforce9

gforce9

Dec 19, 2007
    Which Nordy's do you have? What strings do you use.....this is most curious! I have the NJ4SE's and use 95-40 D'addario XL's

"I have a VJ Sunburst with Black pickguard, Graphite neck, Bart/Bart system. The neck has the BEST 4-string jazz neck shape IMO. I like it better than the neck on my Suhr jazz actually.

* Bart/Bart system works well with my gear, sounds really good
    * Pickup placement is PERFECT (60's)

Dislikes:
    * Wish the body was a FULL jazz not downsized
    * Body Finish doesn't hold up very well "

NICE!:bassist:

11. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Had one many years ago. sounded good, played great was just too heavy. Around 12 lbs. Don't miss that.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I bought a black VJ on Ebay a while back. I loved the way it sounded and played but I couldn't stand the fingerprint-attracting black paint. I sold the loaded body and built a VP (below) which I love. As you all know, man cannot live on P alone, so I built this parts VJ on a Signature body. It's since gotten passive Bartolini split-coils...I just wish I could've found a surf green body to go with the sonic blue VP!

IMGP1544.

IMGP1534.

13. bryanonbass

bryanonbass

May 13, 2001
    Northern NJ
    anyone know what D-tuner fits the VJ?

14. gforce9

gforce9

Dec 19, 2007

Way cool.....how does the P sound with a graphite neck?

15. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    With flats, it's obscenely full and round. Not really "graphitey", but very clear and even across the fretboard.

16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Nice...
    I use NJ4's 60s wind in the fretted.

NJ4SV in the fretless (I did have Dimizaro Ultras in there which where good but I I like the lows a bit more on the NJ4SVs)

I'm using similar strings to you.
    D'addario XL's 45-100

I love my VJs they are my main gigging basses.

17. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    I believe this is the one:

http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=72

The VJ that was just delivered to me yesterday has one and this looks to be it. The original tuner 'button' swapped right over as well. The only thing to note if that the post is considerably shorter on the Hipshot. by more than half so there is a lot less area for the string to wind on. Not that big a deal because one does not need several winds anyway but you would be lucky to get any more than 1.5 total wraps.

18. nervous

nervous Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Beautiful Central, NY
    Does anyone know what bridge came stock on these? Anyone know of a direct 'bolt-on' replacement without the need for new holes?

19. I've got a black VJ with a white pearl pickguard and Barts. I'm mostly a P-Bass guy, but I use this bass any time I'm playing in extreme temperatures, as the neck is absolutely rigid and there are never any tuning issues.
    My only dislikes are that it's a mite heavy and the battery compartment is under the pickguard and thus kind of hard to reach.

20. Mr.Bassie720

Mr.Bassie720

Feb 5, 2005
    Washington DC,Silver Spring,MD
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    I've posted this before. My personal holy grail. This one was made before they had them in production. The whole bass was made by them not just the neck. Note the Fender shaped headstock. Gotoh hardware and EMG electronics. Probably the Warmest J bass I've ever played. Yep I did say warm. even with the EMGs and the graphite. It defied logic. Sadly it was stolen. I guess it was not a true VJ but wow what a bass.
    DanwithGreenBass-1.