Modulus VJ: Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monkfill, Feb 8, 2003.

1. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    Anyone who has experience with a Modulus VJ, please comment here.

I would especially be interested in hearing from those who can compare the VJ to the Flea bass (which is what I have).

The Modulus seems to be one of the lower priced entries in the "higher-end Jazz bass" market, and I'm quite familiar with the quality of Modulus in general.

I'm just looking for general impressions here of the VJ versus any other basses you've played, and how you would describe its overall tone.
  2. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA

I had a VJ for a while, and while I liked it pretty well, I didn't dig the passive tone circuit. I like an active bass.

The VJ gets an array of nifty J tones and it has quite an even neck with no dead spots. It might not have as much character as some nice wooden neck basses, but the clarity and sustain are the tradeoff.

I like the Flea bass too, which to me gets a great deep sound, but is much more limited than the VJ in tonal options.

Adding a good active preamp to a VJ is an interesting idea and one TB'er added the J-Retro thing which I think he digs.

In terms of feel, the neck are quite close, but you get the J contoured body, which you either like or don't, instead of the Musicman shape with the Flea.

I would say stick with the Flea unless you are looking for more variety in your sound and crave the midrange growl of a passive J bass.

Note that the VJ doesn't get nice, deep lows like the Flea, so if you're doing rock or something, the Flea is your bass.

That being said, I mostly use a Q5 ;-)
  3. monkfill

Jan 1, 2003
    Kansas City
    I don't plan on giving up the Flea. It is pretty limited in terms of tonal variety. I really like that tone, so I don't plan on giving up the Flea, but I'm also looking for something more well-rounded. The Modulus VJ came to mind because I like the feel and the quality of my Flea bass.

Jan 31, 2003
    I owned a delux vj for 8 years and wish I hadn't sold it. It had the EMG jv pickups and electronics. I like the sound of the new ones however...I think they sound quiet. They may not need a pre-amp installed rather, raising the pickups closer to the strings. If I were to do it all over again I would put a J retro kit in it. I think CaptainWalley mentioned this. Or, find some original early stock Fender pickups and put in an Aguilar pre-amp. However, something Modulus does not an active-passive switch option with the ability to use a single passive tone knob. Sadawsky and Lull use these options. That way, you can have both.