Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus vs Zon vs Mosses NECKS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Apr 3, 2003.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I have a question concerning neck design only:

I've owned both Modulus and Zon.
    - The Zon neck feels light and hollow.
    - The Modulus neck feels heavier and solid.

Today I was told that the Modulus neck is hollow
    and the Moses neck is solid, and therefore even heavier.

What's the real story? Anybody?

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    based on the weight of the moses neck i owned a little while ago, i can't see how it could be hollow. it was a BRICK.

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Thanks, What about the Modulus? Which is heavier, the Moses or Modulus?

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a Moses neck on my J, and I don't think it feels much heavier than the factory neck! I love the feel, too - solid and thin.

5. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    The neck on my VJ4 is definitely hollow. Pretty light too.

6. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Is this right?

- Zon: Hollow & light

- Modulus: Hollow but heavier than Zon

- Mosses: Solid & heavier than Modulus

7. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Except for the fact that the Zon is a flatter profile, my Zon ('95 Legacy Stnd. 6) and Modulus ('99 Q6) have necks that are about the same weight. I'd be surprised if either were hollow. And neither are what I'd call "light."

8. FractalUniverse

FractalUniverse Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    Valparaíso, Chile
    HeavyDuty: How much did the sound changed with the moses neck???(what "FQs" changed?) I have one and its heavy.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, I was going from fretted to fretless, but I noticed an increase in lower and (mostly) mid freqs - I was worried it would sound brittle, but that didn't happen.

10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

No love for Status ?
    I find them awesome and very comfortable.

[​IMG]

11. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Illinoize
    Put your ear next to the Modulus neck and tap it with your fingernail. Does it sound hollow? Mine does.

12. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Moses have a channel with a relief rod and the neck is solid around that.

Modulus (I'm pretty sure) lay out sheets of graphite for the neck shape, they are then covered with flat sheets, then a fingerboard (the old ones). They may be hollow, but not really HOLLOW (small space is hollow).

Never examined a Zon, but they always sounded "solid" to me. Sorta like Steinberger... but I don't know much about those either.

I still want to play a status and I have a sneaking suspicion that they are made similar to Modulus.

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Status's flagship bass is made of carbonfibre reinforced sheets over a foam core, so it's a monocoque structure where all the load is borne by the skin. The foam core is there to damp the resonance and reduce feedback, but because its hollow it really resonates and is very loud unplugged.

http://www.status-graphite.com/oldsite/stealth.htm

Also they weigh much less - 7lbs for a 6!!! - than conventional basses. Unfortunately (for me) although I love the tight bottom and extended top that graphite gives, plus the ease of maintenance and light weight, I feel that the midrange is too subdued with too little complexity and colourful growl compared to a good wooden bass. Also the flattened U neckshape on Status's doesn't do it for me, I prefer shallow C shape necks like on my old Warwick.

Saying that, if I was playing in a rock band where I needed big bottom and top to cut through the guitars, I'd definitely consider something like the Stealth. Looks v rock too!

Alex

14. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Anyone know anything about the necks on the Peavey G-Bass? My guess is that they are made by some other company for Peavey.

15. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm actually talking to the guys at Moses to replace my Modulous neck on my Peavey B-Quad 4. They claim that Modulous and Moses necks weigh about the same. My B-quad is a bit neck heavy, and doesn't have alot of mids, so I was thinking of going with a headless Moses. Any thoughts?

16. odie

odie Supporting Member

I thought the Modulus and Moses necks were built the same way. Were as if I remember right Zon does something different.

Not sure of all this just something I cant quite recall.

17. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think Zon also "satinizes" the backs of some of their necks, making them less sticky than Mod. Don't know if Moses does the same.

18. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    All of them do it now.

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    AFAIK the neck on my Zon is hollow.

20. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Neither of the three neck brands are solid. The Moses necks are also hollow but they use a "filler" to prevent unwanted tones.

Brad, You have PM.