Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus vs. Zon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ytsebri, Oct 17, 2000.

1. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    Alright people, battle of the composites. Whose sound is the best? Why? Whose cuisine reigns supreme??????

2. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I favor the Zons. I think the hollow neck on the standard modulus gives them a thin sound. The Zon's have solid necks that seem to have a warmer rounder sound. Plus I like the feel of their necks better.

3. Bass Cadet

Bass Cadet

Jul 7, 2000
    I'm a Zon-bie (Legacy Elite V). I haven't played a lot of Modulus basses, but when I was comparing them I liked the Zon's neck better. It's jumbo frets are easier to play. Kind of like the large pencils in kindergarten. :)

When I bought my Zon ('91), Modulus was making the neck. I read that Zon switched to Moses a few years ago. Then Modulus sued Moses or something. Anyone know what happened with that?

greg

4. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Modulus rules all, hands down. Zons look too common or too weird. They have weird configurations of almost everything on them. Modulus are neater, nicer, and sound better. The 35" scale is great and even ones with EMGs (which I'm not a fan of) sounded awesome.

MODULUS!

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Modulus and Zon are different (duh). I like Zon. The Moduli I've played have not sounded as smooth as my fretless. The same applies to a lot of Zons I've played, too. YMMV.

6. I own a Zon Sonus Special V and all I want for Christmas is another one (but a Legacy!)! I personally think it is awesome in all respects. It has a very unique sound. Flawless construction. It's beautiful.
    I am interested in Modulus though. I haven't sampled enough of them to make a fair judgement. But what I do know is that I love my Zon and don't have a single complaint about it.

7. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Battle of the Composites??
    Never forger Clover Graphite bodies...
    Luthite Bodies..
    Rockwood Necks...
    etc etc...
    I would like a Modulus Shaped Luthite Body with a graphite Core/Center with a Rockwood Neck and Ebonol/Phenolic Fingerboard, and Of course 6 Elixir Teflon Covered Strings. Dont Forget to use a Titanium Bridge and Tuners and Lightwave Pickups
    Whats that for a fully year 2057 Bass?
    :)

8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    The recent Modulus necks I've felt fell like the big end of a baseball bat. I played an older custom neck through that felt and played great. I've owned 3 Zons (1 left, not for sale) and liked them all especailly this quilt maple Custom 5. Monster bass. Monster B. Actually very warm sounding.

9. Speedbird

Speedbird Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2000
    Northern Virginia
    The Zon was in my final 5 but, I chose the Modulus. Prices are close on both, Tone is so subjective I refuse to comment. The Zon had better ballance. For me, there were more options with the Modulus. I love composite necks but can't stand composite fingerboards, I was able to order my Quantum Sweet Spot 4 with a wood fingerboard. I also like the Lane-Poor p/u with Bart. 3bnd eq. The final decisive measure was the 35" scale.

Advice: try as many basses as possible before you buy. When your sure, wait a week or two, and try a few more.

10. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    At the risk of repeating what others have said, both Modulus and Zon make great basses - I've seen round both production plants and both pay the highest attention to detail, both use high quality parts and materials, both employ people who are knowledgeable and enjoy what they do. But both are very different - from body shape, to neck profile to electronic options, the basic designs are very different. Someone mentioned that Zon used to use Modulus necks - yup, but now make their own, to their own spec.

I've got three Moduluses (Moduli?), and love 'em all. I've played Moduli that I don't like, and I've played Zons that I love and don't care for - Michael Manring's Hyperbass is a huge leap forward in bass building technology, and is down to Joe Zon's wilingness to experiment. Modulus have pioneered graphite/wood combinations recently with the Genesis necks and wood fingerboards on graphite necks. Zon are now using graphite impregnated wood, which has a grain and a different feel to wood or graphite.

Both are forward thinking companies, staffed by experts making stunning instruments - try as many of both as you can before buying.

And don't forget the other companies that make Graphite necked instruments - Status, Moses, Vigier, etc.

If you want to see my basses, see my web-site. and if you have any specific questions about what I do with them, feel free to post them in the Ask the Pros section...

cheers

Steve
    http://www.steve-lawson.co.uk

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes if you're into Graphite, Status make all-graphite instruments as well as composites with nice tone wood. I tried a Stealth 6 - string and it's an amazingly bright bass and looks fantastic - all black but with details that appear to shine from inside the bass! The whole thing was made of black graphite and was not really my "cup of tea" but I think it would impress anyone who saw it - the holographic nature of the finish doesn't come across in pictures - and the sound is certainly "extreme" ! ;)

12. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Agree about Status Basses. I almost bought Mr Green's first headless 35" scale SC-2. I probably should have... The best fret job I've seen on any bass, and it had a wonderful resonant quality.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The funny thing is, until I found my Legacy, I wasn't particularly impressed with composites. I've heard people sound great (and not so great;)) on just about every bass imaginable, it's all in what you like.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I haven't owned a Modulus, but I've owned a Peavey B-Quad 4 that had a neck by Modulus and I've played many Modulus basses in stores. I Find their necks feel weird, while the Zon necks feel very familiar. As far as looking "Common", Sadowskies look darn common. Why do people like them? Because they're good. It's all that matters.

Truthfully. I own a Zon sonus and it's a great sounding and lightweight bass Modulus basses are beautiful but I'm sold on Zon.

I might also add that I own a Steinberger, which is entirely made of composite materials. It's Killer. Keep it in mind too.

Will C.:cool:

15. not played either... will make an effort on next trip the basscentre and put in my 2 pennies worth!

Status however: a freidn fo mien used to have a headless through graphite neck (with graphite f/board). It was very bright and punchy, not all that hot on tone. Bit the biggest downfall - It looked disgusting. Headless bassess and guitars suck!

Purely my opinion (of course), but I have neveer seen a nice looking bass from Status - in fact I think they all look foul!

16. rmp5s

rmp5s

May 19, 2000
    I'm not totally sure if I've played a Modulus or not but I know I've played a Zon before. They have great electronics but I hate the head shapes on them.

17. Eric M

Eric M

Aug 26, 2000
    I played a Modulus Q6 for the past few years and just recently sold it. After a while I started to yearn for the feel of the back of a wood neck. Other than that I was generally happy with the Mod, though fo rthe life of me I can't understand how ANYONE could be happy playing one w/ EMG's.

I've never tried out a Zon, simply because my personal tastes are offended by the hideous headstocks . . . (just IMO).

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    re: hideous headstocks.

Zon headstocks are pretty simple and black. I respect your opinion but is this the headstock you're thinking about?

[​IMG]

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's not hideous!

OTOH, those Modulus headstocks ;)

I own neither, but I've played 2 Zons and 6 or 7 Moduli, and like BW said, the necks feel 'familiar'.

They are comfortable, wide, fairly thin profile.

The Modulus are narrower string spacing, chunky and neck heavy.

And Modulus necks are hollow?

Why are they so damned heavy? Zons are much lighter.

This is just my opinion, but I think that Moduli are a boutique wannabe, and Zons are the genuine article, especially the Legacy.

<drool>

20. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have a Modulus Q5 with EMG's, they are IMO much better than the weak, punchless Bartolini's that were in the Lakland I just sold. I hated them, but the EMG's cut so well, I like the aggressive sound they make. So, don't think that other people wouldn't like the EMG's also...I'm sure there are others who like them . It definitely depends on the style of music you play.