Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus VS. Zon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Halftooth, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Let's hear it, who makes the better graphite necked bass. I'm considerring both of them, but I'd like to hear TBer's input as well.

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i'm partial to Zons.

i played a bunch of Mods and Zons at the recent NAMM.

the Mods aren't as "calm" (?) sounding as the Zons.

a zon can get a more traditional tone, in my opinion.

i played only the Q series Mods. really not the tone i'm looking for in a bass.

as i've said in other threads...both lines exhibit some of the finest craftsmanship out there!!!

its a matter of tonal taste.

f

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

I played a Zon and it was a little tame sounding and had a midrange honk that I didnt like. Mind you I have only played 3 Zons. They all had Barts which I dont care for.

I played the Mods and I like the options of the EMG's. The best one I played was a flea with the extra J pup (MM and J) I think it had Duncans.

Dont forget Status or the MTD/Modulus combo, the cool but underrated Genesis.

4. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    now, the GENESIS is a Mod i would love to try!

f

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Genesis are nice basses. With the Barts and the wood/compsoite neck construction, they're pretty warm sounding.

OTOH my Zon Legacy Standard fretless 5 is still one of the best I've ever played.

6. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Zon... and I have played both on many occasions and own/owned a sonus 4 fretless, 5 fretted and a legacy 6 elite special.

Mods are chunky for my tastes.

7. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I've owned a pair of Zon Sonus 5's and sold them both. The first one did not have the tone I like and the second one had a neck issue that Joe Zon wanted $250 to correct.

I now have a Q5 and a Q6. Both have 18 volt 3 band Bartolini electronics and PUs. Wonderful basses in every respect.

Chuck

8. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    did you buy the bass used?

f

9. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    It's simple.

- If you like highs, go with the Zon.

- If you like Lows, go with the Modulus.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i would say Zon- and im a former Modulus artist- great basses, but the Zons are warmer--

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I respectfully disagree.

Qualifier: My remarks apply to only Zon Legacy 5's and Mod Quantum 5 models (the only ones I have experience with).

To me the Zon has richer, warmer and more solid lows than the Mod and the Mod has way brighter highs than the Zon (esp. w/EMGs).

In general, I would say that the Mod Q's have a much more Hi-Fi type sound--extraordinarily articulate (again, esp. w/EMG pu's) and the Zon Leg's have a richer, more organic tone while still maintaining good articulation in the lowest registers.

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    My experience in bassed on a Zon that I once owned and one that belongs to a friend. Both were Sonus Special models.

I've owned 4 Modulus basses--2 with EMGs and 2 with Barts.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Me, too. My Zon isn't about highs. OTOH most EMG-equipped Moduli I've tried have been very zingy. Bart-equipped were much warmer.

14. I like my Modulus Quantum 6...I believe it's got Bart Quad Coils and the Bart NTMB...and a Kahler fully-adjustable bridge. :cool: :cool:

15. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Bottom line is this: Both Modulus and Zon basses have an equal share of pros and cons. I strongly recommend that you DO NOT buy either of these without playing it first. Unlike traditional basses, it's not a matter of "how much" you like it; either you like it or you don't.

Log on to the Zon and Modulus web sites. Find the artists list. Listen to some of thier albums and hear for yourself. Do you like the sound of Michael Manring and Tim Butler? Or do you like the sound of Oteil Burbridge, Flea, Phil Lesh, Adrian Garcia;) etc, etc

YOU be the judge, play them both...then post a pic of your new ??????? on talkbass.

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    JR- LOL!!! is my name still there???- it was last time i checked - its been years now-- great travel bass- too sterile for me, though- gotta have wood!!

17. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    quote of the week!

f

18. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i've only had the chance to play 2 F Basses.

this was at the Bass Exchange before they closed their doors.

both were absolutely dreadful to play and sounded completely dead.

granted, i didn't own them and spend time getting them setup...but i still wouldn't dismiss the line based on 2 experiences.

in fact, all the high end basses there were in sad shape.

the only one that i was blown away by, was a newly received Kingston fretless 5.

the K5 even kicked the Roscoe's butt.

back to the zon/mod thing.

just tonight i did some recordings of the 3 fretless basses i have. this was in response to all the MWAH broohaha.

and wouldn't ya know, my old faithful, the Zon Lightwave i bought 3 years ago was KING MWAH!

f

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    fhodshon
    you most definitely missed out on the F experience- the F's ive pkayed have a unique growl all throughout the range and as much as i dig the Lakland stuff, the F has more booty - and playability up the yin-yang!! its too bad anbd hard to believe that Long Ly didnt have those basses set up for maximun performance - and it DOES make a huge difference- last night at a gig, i was playing a preowned Lkaland i just took in- everything was fine , except i wasnt digging the action and setup- i took out my trusty wrench kit and right there onstage on a break- i adjusted the action and voila- BRAND NEW bass feel- the rest of the night was a breeze- SETUP is extremly important!!

20. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i know that F Basses must be incredible instruments.

my old bass teacher played one at a gig my wife and i attended. SUCCULENT!

i guess my little rant was more about how important it is to not judge on limited exposure.

its really a shame about the Bass Exchange's last days.

even the Fodera was weak.

the only reason i don't try an F Bass is, well...

its like the time i tried a Pedulla Buzz for the first time years ago.

the sales guy watched me walk towards it. just as i was reaching for it, he said:

"don't play that."

i thought, oh my, these guys are strict about trying gear.

i asked why. he said.

"because you'll buy it!"

i laughed. i played it. i bought it.

f