1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modus Vetus Sight Singing lars edlund

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by bassbuddie, Mar 17, 2009.

1. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    I recently purchased the book Modus Vetus from lars edlund for Sight Singing. It says to sign the note names. I want some advice. Should I sign the movable Do system (Sign DO as the root, wathever key i am in) or sign the real note name?

2. i think its good to know fixed and movable do. when i use that book i just sing the pitches and think the pitch name. all you really want to accomplish is that you know what pitch your singing. movable do can help your ear a lot--but the second book of that series is impossible without using fixed do. actually it may well just be impossible. those books are full of great patterns to play on the bass.

3. bassbuddie

bassbuddie

Jan 8, 2003
    Montreal
    Thank you , I agree. I tought about it, and since I am already doing ear training exercises, intervals, chord etc with scale degree, I think that the fixed Do will be the best option.

4. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    I go crazy in the movable do system. How does one deal with scores that modulate, etc.

Side note, this is a good book. the patterns are a little tedious/dumb/annoying, but it does help your ear tremendously. Novus/Vetus are required texts in all of our solfege classes at the conservatory.

5. This is weird. My aural skills class doesn't require this stuff, but Diana Gannett has been having me and another freshman use Novus in our lessons a little bit. She uses it for being able to hear what you will play before you play it, and to also work on sightreading tricky chromatic passages in three different octaves. But yes, we do have to sing these (sometimes), and we use fixed do system here.

6. As a classically trained singer, I feel that moveable do is generally much easier to pick up initially, but does get tricky in more advanced music, whereas fixed do has quite the learning curve, but singers who sight read using the fixed do system generally ace sight reading.

Just from what I've seen, so do what feels right!

7. klyph

klyph Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2009
    SE MA USA
    Singing the real solfege, you might discover you have perfect pitch!;) Just kidding!