1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mohini Dey: 15:05 of Slap

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Well not every last note is slap. It takes endurance to get through this one. Parts of it start to groove then she goes and kills the groove with more licks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  2. cornfarmer

cornfarmer jam econo

May 14, 2002
    barf

3. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    she has way more talent than me(most everyone does) but geez that was an exercise in wanking, could only make it through 30 seconds and skipped to see if it changed, I'm the same way with any musical instrument, a little goes a long way, any style is cool, just mix things up

4. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I know she's great, but that was so boring.

5. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    upload_2020-12-2_19-58-59.jpeg

C Stone, andruca, berlihe and 8 others like this.
  6. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Nope.

timmo97, C Stone, Hounddog409 and 3 others like this.
  7. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Kinda sad. I know she can play some great stuff, but this wasn’t one of those times. It almost seemed like she was trying all tricks in her toolbox to get a response from a crowd that seemed to be bored from the beginning. She got some response at times, but not a lot. I felt sorry for the crowd not having the ability to fast forward through that.

Ricky Rioli, C Stone, DWBass and 4 others like this.
  8. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    I think I'd have better luck making it through this:

RyanOh, dbsfgyd1, crobasster and 18 others like this.
  9. cxcxcx

cxcxcx

Mar 8, 2019
    You'll see Mark King do similar displays and they're enthusiastically received and an expected part of the show. The difference is that MK is an excellent songwriter and vocalist in his own right and understands the basics of composition when it comes to presenting material. He also is an excellent showman that respects his audience and knows there's a point where the listener's ear loses interest and disengages. It's there where he makes his point in his solo spot and puts the age-old showbiz adage of "always leave them wanting more" into play.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  10. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    When I saw the first video from her (I think she was like 11), I was SO impressed. Her technique is great, but her current sense of musicality just doesn’t gel with me.

11. SgtHulka

SgtHulka

Mar 29, 2019
    Why is she rocking out like she is listening to music?? :thumbsdown:

DWBass and JKos like this.
  12. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    They clapped because it was over.

C Stone, Amano, lucas303 and 13 others like this.
  13. She has incredible talent, but that was bloody awful.

Hounddog409, JKos, DWBass and 3 others like this.
  14. Samatza

Samatza

Apr 15, 2019
    Fantastic talent but I really don’t like that slap sound. I’d really like to see her do more in a musical context rather than a chops showcase, it’s clear that she has chops.

15. chux

chux

Jul 20, 2007
    Dublin,Ireland
    The sign of true talent is knowing when enough is enough...very painful.

MF-Winzlow, JKos, DWBass and 2 others like this.
  16. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

Jun 22, 2013
    Jacksonville, Fl
    I made it through almost 30 seconds... I don’t know what that was about, but I do know that she’s much better than that. Sounds like she needs to spend some quality time with a veteran bass guru. I’d like to hear her in a compositional context.

JKos and Peter Torning like this.
  17. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    Nothing makes TB go full Principal Skinner like a Mohini Dey thread... ;)

She’s making a living as a shred/speed/chops player (and is very good at it). That’s her niche.

If you don’t like that kind of thing - which is entirely reasonable - maybe save a little time in your day and don’t bother watching the video?

18. Hard pass for me.

Extended, unaccompanied solos on any instrument is just not my thing - it bores me within a minute or two - and that's especially true for drums or bass, IMO they're the worst to sit through when they aren't framed within a song.

obimark, DrayMiles and oaklandthumb like this.
  19. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    That’s why I like her for the shred and speed, this was just disappointing compared to the stuff I like

knumbskull likes this.
  20. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    That’s fair enough :)

It just seems like every thread about her quickly turns unnecessarily negative. I always wonder how much of that is avoidable!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021